I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod bond melting temp?
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2021 06:58PM

I used U40 rod bond epoxy to attach the threaded barrel to a wooden insert for a fly rod handle, unfortunately I am a dummy and put it on the wrong way which means the lock nut will not thread on it. I wasnt too concerned (embarrassed yes but not concerned) because I thought I could dip it in boilng water and the epoxy would loosen so I could twist it off. Wrong!! I fought it for an hour, at one point it sat in a pot of boiling water for 1/2 hr straight it didnt even wiggle when I tried to get it off, obviously the temperature needed is higher than 212 F. Anyone know the melting temp of U 40 and should I try a heat gun or just admit defeat and buy a new reel seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod bond melting temp?
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: January 19, 2021 07:17PM

You said that the lock nut will not thread on it. If that is because the threads don't extend all the way to the "new end" of the barrel, maybe just cut off a bit of the threaded barrel to get to the threaded portion so that the lock nut will go on. The reel seat threads are usually too long anyway.

Date: January 19, 2021 07:33PM

I thought about that Dan but I honestly believed I could heat it and twist it off, Im not sure you could get a good even cut so it would thread, but if a heat gun isnt feasible I will try cutting it before I purchase a new reel seat. Its not doing me any good the way it is. Thanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 12:21AM

Is the reel seat metal or something else> Metal should work with the boiling water other materials maybe not as they may not conduct enough heat to the epoxy. I have gotten metal reel seat off Rod Bond by boiling about 10 minutes.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: January 20, 2021 12:38AM

I have removed old metal reel seats that were bonded with rod bond with heat and rod bond just crumbles off and it makes it easy to remove. You my be able to use a heat gun but a flame from your thread toarch would work even better as it makes it east to target one place.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 08:21AM

Epoxy adhesives do not melt, but as mentioned, they "deteriorate." Not all epoxies deteriorate at the same temperatures, and the temperatures at which some deteriorate is at or close to the temperatures at which the blank will deteriorate, so this is why the use of heat is so often discouraged.

Date: January 20, 2021 10:23AM

The wood insert is not epoxied to the blank just the threaded barrel to the wood insert so there is no problem with harming the integrity of the blank. Apparently the wood does not conduct the heat adequately or it takes more than 212 F. I'm going to try and cut 1/16 of an inch off to reach the threads and if that doesn't work I will just order a new reel seat. I have made mistakes that cost me much more than the price of a new reel seat. Than, you for your replies

Date: January 20, 2021 11:11AM

I am sure my missteps with this reel seat are providing comic relief for those of you hunkered down at home due to the cold, Covid, or whatever so let me continue. I took Dans advice and carefully cut off about 1/16 inch of the barrel and it worked, the lock nut spun on just like new!! BUT. When I was doing my boiling thingy yesterday the maple insert absorbed water and swelled and now the collar which slides into the cork handle inlet wont fit over the end of the maple insert. It is now sitting in a bowl filled with rice on a register, hopefully I can draw out enough moisture to make it fit. I know, I know, it would be much simpler if I just bought a new reel seat and gave up on all the drama but now its getting personal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 20, 2021 11:45AM

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 20, 2021 11:46AM

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 04:36PM

Roger, some of those methods sound like they may attack the blank, too. I think I'll let you try them and report back. Especially numbers 1, 2, 3 & 5.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 06:55PM

Wrong thread. Sorry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2021 07:08PM by Lynn Behler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster