I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mounting Winn Grips Using Tape Method
Posted by: Brian Petters (---.knology.net)
Date: January 18, 2021 11:45PM

Thanks for letting me join.

I have a newbie question.

I am building a rod with a weave pattern between split grips. Based on advice elsewhere, I have completed the weave and will soon put on the grips. I don't want a lot of epoxy, so I am attempting the taping method.

Most of what I have read is that Winn Grips (and all EVA, for that matter) need to be reamed out to a diameter slightly smaller than the portion of the rod they will sit on. Most of the instructions I've seen seem to assume the grip is put on from the butt of the rod, but I can't do that. The tape is supposed to be the length of the grip itself.

So, here's my question: Assuming that I have reamed the grip to less than a millimeter of the diameter of the rod placement, once I put the tape lubricant on the grip and the rod, will I have a problem getting the grip over the tape? Or, do I have to put much more tape on the rod, get the grip in place, and then remove the excess before I put on the reel seat?

Still very new at this and am feeling a little confused on some of this.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting Winn Grips Using Tape Method
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 19, 2021 01:43AM

Brian,
Whenever I put on a grip, I ream the grip to the same size as the butt of the rod.
Your choice to put it on from the butt or the tip of the blank, if nothing else is on the blank.

Some folks like to stretch the grip to fit. I don't. So, I just ream to size and slip it on with a layer of epoxy on the rod and the inside of the grip. Never have had an issue.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 06:01AM

Brian.. using two sided tape is my method of choice of installing Winn Grips. Use tape sold by Golfworks for installing golf grips, very strong and easy to use. Install from the tip down and ream it to stop a few inches from where it will be used. Once that is done wrap the blank with ONE wrap of the tape and not overlaying it but butting the ends together. Then use Mineral spirits in a ketchup squirt bottle and put some inside the grip to wet it. I shake it a few times and then pour the remains over the tape on the rod. The tape will get very sticky at this point.

Push the grip down to the tape then be careful because it will slide over the tape very easily and don't want to go past the end of the tape. Push it straight not twisting so line up the seam on grip to where you want it. Once that is done let it sit for an hour or more then it can be handled carefully. After twenty four hour that gip is on solid and will not move. On some old winn grips I had to remove they were on there as if epoxied they were so hard to remove. Tape works great for Winn and EVA grips.

Tom

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 19, 2021 09:14AM

Brian,

I had a build similar to yours with a weave in between split Winn. At the time I was not aware of the tape method. My solution was to put a coat of finish on my weave and let it cure. Then I placed my grips as I usually do by reaming until they stop about 1" shy of the final placement when being slid down from the tip. On the butt I open it to be snug over the rod but. I used paste epoxy, slid them in place, and wiped the excess with cloth and denatured alcohol to install both grips. If you use winding checks make sure to account for the build up of thread/finish and you will be good.

Aaron

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 10:45AM

Excellent post, Tom W!

Date: January 19, 2021 10:59AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent post, Tom W!

Thanks Michael

Date: January 19, 2021 08:31PM

Tom,

Thank you. That's what I need to know. I guess I have some more reaming to do.

Brian

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 19, 2021 10:13PM

Brian,
We all have “more learning to do”!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 23, 2021 01:49AM

I build golf clubs and fly rods, but have never used a Winn grip on a fishing rod, but dozens on golf clubs. The method described above by Tom is spot on.. You can get the two sided tape on line or buy at a Golf Galaxy store if you have one near you, or a PGA retail store. The mineral spirits will work or buy a small bottle of grip solvent at Golf Galaxy. As indicated above, apply a good amount on the tape. A spray bottle works well, and slide it around with your hand or wear a rubber glove. Again, as indicated, pour some inside the grip and shlosh it around. Pour the remains on the tape. Quickly push the grip onto the blank and align. Leave for an hour or so.

Date: January 27, 2021 01:08PM

So, I ended up going to a golf shop and getting a kit. It worked great. The only problem I ended up with is that I ended up slightly over reaming the rear grip. When I put it on, I then pushed it farther than I expected. So, now I have a weave that is not centered: 20mm to the fighting butt/14mm to the rear grip.

I will figure out some asymmetrical decoration to make it look good. Always learning.

Thanks to everyone.

Date: January 27, 2021 03:30PM

Brian
Good to hear it worked good for you. Getting it perfect just takes practice but I am sure you can make it work,

Now, just so you know that you can apply EVA foam grips the same way. No need to glue them just use the tape and they are on for life and in a fraction of the time as gluing it up.

Good Luck

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster