I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-Wrapping Guides
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:00PM

I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm looking at an earlier build and really don't like the way I did the wraps and don't like the way the epoxy laid on. All user issues.

I plan on just removing all of the guides and re-wrapping them. I do like the rod and all of the components.

I did a couple of searches, but did not seem to use the right search words. I did not find anything on re-wrapping, although I know I've seen discussions on this topic.

I plan on just carefully cutting the thread and removing the thread and epoxy.

Any tips or tricks, anything to avoid?

Many thanks for all of your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-Wrapping Guides
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:20PM

Slide a single edge razor up the guide foot towards the ring so you don't mar the paint.
Once that is done - rock the guide until you can break it loose.
use a flat-tip tweezer to break the epoxy that was over the guide foot from the blank.
"Worry" the end of what's left of the the wrap to find the end - then unwrap the thread.
The remnants of epoxy that was under the wraps can be removed by scraping with the razor held perpendicular to the blank. If you are left with epoxy on the blank beyond the wraps - heat gently and scrape with a credit card .
try to install guides in same locations - with longer wraps to cover any paint damage.
Herb

Posted by: Terry Bain (---)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:26PM

Tom. Click on the FAQs at the top and go to question #19. That is a good way, but be careful and not use to much heat, because you don't want to damage the blank.
If it's done properly it will be hard to tell what you've done. Take your time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:28PM

Try another search. All dates. Lots of info.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:51PM

I've never needed heat to remove a guide. Totally unnecessary.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: January 18, 2021 09:55PM

Thanks, everyone

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 10:52AM

Since it's impossible to communicate accurately what "too much heat" is it's best not to use it. I also have never had to use heat to remove a guide.Many on old rods will easily rock off after cutting along the foot and the epoxy and thread, or most of it, will come off with a thumbnail. Sometimes the thread can be accessed to unwrap it, too.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 06:39PM

Who mentioned heat?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 07:01PM

CP saturated guide wraps are a whole lot easier to remove and clean up than epoxy saturated wraps..

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2021 10:28AM

I have used "too" much heat and it wasn't good. Luckily it was on the tip of a cheap ice rod blank. Just cut the damage off and found a bigger tip top. I also would not use heat now. If you use no heat...it will be impossible to use too much heat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster