I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shimano SLX Thread Match
Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: January 14, 2021 11:20PM

Hello fellow rod builders,

A customer has given me a shimano slx that needs a new guide on it and I've been having some difficulty trying to match the thread color. I tried a few of the blue fuji threads (I bought NOCP so that could have been my mistake there) and they're not quite as dark as the thread wraps on the rod are. The top thread in the picture is #008 Dark blue and the bottom is #009 Royal Blue. As you can tell from the picture (see link), they're not quite the same and I think it would look a bit off if I used either one of those colors.

Have anyone of you had to try and match this color of thread before? If so, what did you use?

Also, if I were to purchase the regular nylon thread, do you think it would significantly darken (to the same darkness as the wrap on the rod) when I apply my thread wrap epoxy?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shimano SLX Thread Match
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.170.---)
Date: January 15, 2021 07:49AM

I use Fuji thread for most of my wraps, and I know it will become significantly darker after epoxy is applied without using CP. Do a short test wrap on the rod after removing the damaged guide to see how it compares. It it’s a double foot guide, only remove the wrap on one foot, so you have a side by side comparison.

Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: January 15, 2021 01:23PM

I have used the 018 Navy Blue NOCP. It is definitely closer than 009 or 008 but I think 018 probably still a bit too vibrant. It is always hard to judge lighting in photos.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 15, 2021 02:41PM

A dark blue regular nylon thread without Cp should be very close.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2021 05:33PM

Have you tried to get info from Shimano?

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: January 15, 2021 06:49PM

Ray and Norm - I bet you're right with a nylon navy blue thread. I think I'll give that a go! Thank you!

Phil - I honestly figured they'd never get back to me and that one of you guys have probably ran across this same color before. I did reach out to them anyways so we'll see what they say.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 15, 2021 09:03PM

I can see very little difference between the 2 sample wraps shown, however I think the top color in regular nylon and no CP would be very close to what you want. Get a few colors and test them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster