I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper Guide Size on Casting Float Rod
Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 07:19PM

I'm building a spiral wrapped lamiglas SI1262M float rod and am about to wrap up the final 2 guides. Belly guides are 5's. I have a double foot 6, a double foot 10, and more 5's in stock to work with.

I could either:

- Use the 6 as a stripper and a 5 as the transition
- Use the 10 as a stripper and a 5 as the transition
- Use the 10 as a striper and the 6 as the transition

I have spacing to work with and could make all 3 work from a line angle standpoint.

Any thought on what you would do in the situation would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper Guide Size on Casting Float Rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 07:57PM

I’d go 10 to 6 to the runners.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 09:43PM

Though I have never had the problem myself, I have been using a double foot guide in the transition position on rods I sell, many seem to bend them somehow, my rods are all single foot LAG, or BLAG transition guides, even my salmon rods.

Posted by: Matt Hehn (---.static.123.net)
Date: January 14, 2021 07:16AM

I actually built this blank a couple months ago as a spiral wrap bait caster. I started with a size 12 guide. I don't have all my details handy but it is a sweet blank and have really been happy fishing it.

Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: January 14, 2021 03:09PM

Matt Hehn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually built this blank a couple months ago as
> a spiral wrap bait caster. I started with a size
> 12 guide. I don't have all my details handy but it
> is a sweet blank and have really been happy
> fishing it.

Agreed, all the salmon/steelhead and bass SI blanks have been amazing for me. They do a few sales every year where you could build a bare bones rod on a top-tier blank and come in same ballpark as an Okuma SST. Hard to beat that price/performance ratio.

Ended up going with the 10 -> 6 guides.

As for guides bending, I have been using seaguide titaniums and did end up bending the stripper and transition guide frames on an acid wrapped salmon float rod. I was able to bend both back no problem and honestly was probably my fault. The chaos of a full drift boat on a good day of salmon fishing tends to be really hard on gear.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 15, 2021 06:09PM

Is it necessary to consider the type of line (braid, nylon mono, etc.) or the thickness of the line or the anticipated ambient fishing temperature when selecting or spacing guides - or is it best to select and space guides for use with lines of medium flexibility and thickness?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 15, 2021 08:31PM

Most use braid for float rods because it floats, though I have heard P Line makes a floating mono. Here in the Pacific NW we don't get much weather that will freeze a line, or guides. Wind is a bigger problem.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 16, 2021 09:29AM

Thanks, Spencer. That makes sense, and the thinner the line the less the wind is a problem. I still wonder if guide spacing is a matter of "one size and placement fits all" or if ideal guide spacing and guide sizes are a function of the of line to be used - mono or braid - and if mono line the diameter/flexibility of the line and the temperature/flexibility of the mono line?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster