I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Question re Reel Seats
Posted by: Paul Farrell (103.104.164.---)
Date: January 13, 2021 02:53PM

Hi,

Please excuse my naivety on this one, but just curious as to whether a 2500 size reel foot will fit in a size 14 reel seat.

In particular, looking at using an Alps ARD reel seat to hold a Shimano Stradic CI4+ 2500FB.

Just wanted something a little smaller than a size 16.

Cheers,
Paul Farrell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Question re Reel Seats
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 03:45PM

I don't know that I've ever seen a size 14 seat. Be careful what you ask for; for proper ergonomics for most hand sizes size 16 is too small. I only use 17's and a few 18's. Think about using a hammer. How small would you want the hammer handle to be.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 07:05PM

Michael offered very good advice. I used a 16 (spinning) seat on a build because if fit the butt of the blank without the use of arbors/shims. As soon as I fished it, I realized the seat felt too small and thus uncomfortable. Good analogy on Michael’ hammer handle = right on the money!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 08:19PM

I've used the alps AES14-WTS size 14 on a couple builds and it will fits the 2500 stradic fl and a daiwa fuego 4000 with plenty of room to spare. My guess is that they are very similar so no worries there.

With average sized hands and don't find the ergonomics to be any worse than than say a SK2.

I've also used the ATEX14 and like the way I can palm my reels and the support the double finger grooves give on hook sets.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2021 03:28PM

Most all small reel seats will accommodate small to medium sized reels. You may have a problem with large offshore type reels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster