I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxying reel seat inserts and reel seats.
Posted by: William Bauer (---.mdrsor.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 12:43PM

I bought a NTR casting seat from MH which calls for a carbon insert. I understand that the insert is cemented to the blank but how does one keep the opening of the reel seat from filling with epoxy when it is slid over the insert? Is there a procedure or do I need to carefully clean the epoxy from the opening in the seat and the exposed insert?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxying reel seat inserts and reel seats.
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 13, 2021 02:03PM

I have always pre-installed the insert to the seat. Take the hood off and tape the threads. If you have any run off you can remove it with a toothpick or q-tip. Use denatured alcohol and cloth/q-tip to remove excess epoxy from the openings in the seat. If any gets inside the insert you can ream it down smooth. Then install the same as a normal casting seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 02:03PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Terry Bain (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 02:18PM

William. No matter how hard you try you're going to get some cement on the insert that will show in the opening. Have a cleaning rag with denatured alcohol handy. It should wipe off very easily for you, then let it set up. Keep an eye on it from time to time to make sure nothing else has seeped out, especially if you use glue instead of paste. If you lay the rod horizontally for everything to dry, keep the opening in the up position, this should keep any seepage, if any, to a minimum.
Always check and recheck your alignment after wiping off any excess glue or paste.
Someone else may have a much better idea, so stayed tuned.
Good luck.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 02:47PM

I agree with Aaron, install the insert first. Clean up any seepage, and when cured glue to blank like any other reel seat using some type of arbor/bushing.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 03:17PM

William,
I like to use a tooth brush. New or used to remove any epoxy from the glue up.

Be diligent.

Check the glue up every minute for the first 15 minutes to be sure that no more glue has seeped out. If it does, be diligent with the brush and alcohol and you will have a perfect installation.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 13, 2021 03:18PM

William,
I like to use a tooth brush. New or used to remove any epoxy from the glue up.

Be diligent.

Check the glue up every minute for the first 15 minutes to be sure that no more glue has seeped out. If it does, be diligent with the brush and alcohol and you will have a perfect installation.

Posted by: William Bauer (---.mdrsor.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 04:21PM

OK, looks like I have a plan. Nothing is worse than going ahead and doing something that doesn't work out and having to buy all over again.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 06:41PM

right on, William. Good advice from the builders who replied. It will work just fine. Just don't let it cure before clean-up.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 07:57PM

When you glue the insert in the seat, neatly remove as much glue as you possibly can before starting in with the alcohol. Alcohol causes some seepage. Keep an eye on it as Roger said.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2021 04:34PM

I just do everything at one time as far as mounting the insert and reel seat to the blank. Already have your grip glued in place to the blank. Tape the reel seat thread only. Put your arbors on then apply epoxy to them, slide the insert over the arbors, smear epoxy all over the OD of the insert and inside the reel seat and mount the reel seat over the insert. Make sure the tube ends of the reel seat are filled with epoxy to make a watertight seal. Clean up excess epoxy with dry paper towels first then lightly wet paper towels with Acetone or DA and clean up all epoxy residue that is left. I will cut paper towels in quarters rather than use the whole paper towel and I only use the cheap store brand ones without decorative print on them. If your grips are EVA or you are using rubber or plastic winding checks then don't use acetone. Make sure everything is dry fitted first and reel orientation is established. I also use the gel type epoxy that sets up in 15 minutes for reel seats and grip mounting (not for gluing grip rings together). The last thing you want is to have is a reel seat spin on the finished rod. It is poor craftsmanship. It seams a little messy but you don't need to use globes of epoxy and it will all clean up.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster