I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil Guide Setup
Posted by: Lin Amann (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 05:32PM

Hey Everyone,

Needing some help on a recoil guide setup for a 7' medium inshore setup.

Normally I use all fuji and would build as follows: KW10, KW5.5, KB5.5, KB5.5, KT5.5, KT5.5, KT5.5, KT5.5, KT5.5

Looking at starting with the REC doublefoot 10 and build out much like the fuji build.

Doublefoot 10, doublefoot 6, and then single foot 5's all the way to the end.

How would this setup perform?

I've never built or casted a recoil rod so I'm definitely navigating in new waters ... hoping for some insight from the experienced folks.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil Guide Setup
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 06:22PM

Lin,
That would work.
What tip-top are you using.h
What kind of line are you using?
Herb

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---)
Date: January 12, 2021 07:04PM

Are you using the REC RECOIL guides? I have found that they cast better than the regular recoils.

Posted by: Lin Amann (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 07:51PM

Herb,

I plan on using the REC RSCT Recoil Spin/Cast Top, size 5.

Customer uses braid, 20lb test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 07:52PM by Lin Amann.

Date: January 12, 2021 07:51PM

Barry,

Yes, using the REC recoil guides...

Date: January 12, 2021 08:40PM

Lin,
So, you're using the RSG in #10 and 6. Then the RSPGM. Then tip-top???
You're liable to see grooving from the braid.

Herb

Posted by: Lin Amann (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 09:11PM

Herb,

Yes, that was the plan. lol. Was thinking of doing RSG in 10 and 6 and then the RSPG's in 5 all the way to the end followed by the tip top.

I've never used recoils before so I'm not familiar with advantages/disadvantages quite yet.

Could you suggest something that might work better for the type of build I've highlighted? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Date: January 12, 2021 09:35PM

If money not a great motivator - I would go with something titanium and Sic or other ring material just because of the grooving.
Especially on the tip.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: January 13, 2021 09:43AM

REC guides are a Titanium alloy (Nickle and Titanium). You probably won't see any type of grooving for a long time and then it would only be at the tip top if any. The only thing that is questionable about the REC guides is the Tip Top, it has a weird barrel with NiTi wire ring crammed into it and pressed. Your guide train is sound to me, although I would use 4s on the running train, but that is just a personal preference and would not really affect performance. What you want to do will work.

Date: January 13, 2021 11:38AM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If money not a great motivator - I would go with
> something titanium and Sic or other ring material
> just because of the grooving.
> Especially on the tip.
> Herb

Oh yes, I know those are very good ... have used those plenty of times. The customer is adamant about getting recoils though.

Date: January 13, 2021 11:40AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> REC guides are a Titanium alloy (Nickle and
> Titanium). You probably won't see any type of
> grooving for a long time and then it would only be
> at the tip top if any. The only thing that is
> questionable about the REC guides is the Tip Top,
> it has a weird barrel with NiTi wire ring crammed
> into it and pressed. Your guide train is sound to
> me, although I would use 4s on the running train,
> but that is just a personal preference and would
> not really affect performance. What you want to do
> will work.

Thanks Lance ... I will try it out.

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 13, 2021 03:05PM

Personally I’d start with an 8 double foot the. Followed up with 2 6 double foots then the Rspg 6 all the way to the tip. The 5’s are really tiny and you will need quite a few to keep the line off the blank. Grab a Fuji Arowana ti sic for your tip top. Done a few this way and the customers have been quite happy

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 05:37PM

Herb, concerned about grooving the guides, or the tiptop? If I were doing this build I would do the recoils for the guides but would put a SIC ring tiptop on. I've never had a guide groove, even on the old cheapies I used to fish with.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 13, 2021 08:06PM

Trevor, Michael, X2

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---)
Date: January 14, 2021 01:21AM

I meant to ask if you are using the REC cerecoil those are the ones I use on 6 wts on up,

Date: January 14, 2021 03:33PM

Michael,
I think my experience with grooving REC Recoil guides was a function of fishing in sandy/gritty surf.
I have had to rebuild saltwater fly rods because the line cut through the wraps of single foot guides - and grooved the ring.
These were from very powerful casters and most likely on the forward haul when the line was in contact with the blank/wraps/guides.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 16, 2021 09:34AM

Do REC guides require different spacing than other guides of equal height and inside diameter?

Posted by: Jim Doerr (---)
Date: January 19, 2021 11:42PM

Lin, I'm working up a ML 7' inshore rod. Historically I'd use Fuji titanium KW7, KB6, then eight KT5s and this system works great. With that said, I wanted to see what the buzz was about recoil guide systems so I ordered ten. Unbeknownst to me, most recoil guide #s don't coincide with Fuji's #s. So, when I ordered a RSG8, RSG6 and eight RSPG4.5s I was quite surprised at how unbelievably tiny (2mm) the 4.5s are.

I called Ryan at REC to get some advice before spending a ton of time and effort wrapping these up, albeit he wasn't too sure if this guide train would work and offered that a large OEM is using recoil 6s for the runners. After researching all the recoil guides, the only casting 6 is a double foot, so there would a ton of extra work in wrapping up an additional eight of these. So, long story short, I'm fairly sure I'm going to continue with the build as intended, but not finish the wraps before testing it out.

Let us know how your build turned out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster