I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Florida Pier rod handle....loooooong
Posted by: Philip Engle (---.liteplain.com)
Date: January 11, 2021 02:19PM

Friends:

Been looking at heavy duty pier fishing rods in Florida, especially East coast (Juno Pier)

Judging by the videos, I'm guessing old school howald style blank of the 8' length (plus) category, old school spiral guides and stainless tip. Kind of inspiring really, and I want to make one of those.

I have a beefy 8' Gator blank so I'm GTG on that - bought it years ago thinking I would build a grouper rod out of it, but ....life, right?

In the videos the butt section of the rod seems to be very long, like 20 plus inches, can't tell for sure, maybe even more, but seriously long.

Been looking online for EVA grips and the most i can find is about 14". .

I can prolly make something equivalent using cork tape covered with shrink wrap, but sure would be nice to get a 18'"-20" or so EVA straight grip in about a 3/4 inch inside diameter.

Can anyone recommend a source? Or have other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 02:33PM by Philip Engle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Florida Pier rod handle....loooooong
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 02:54PM

Make a split grip with a butt piece and an aft grip then you can do whatever length you want. Long fore grip would be nice to go with it too.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 11, 2021 03:36PM

2 things ....

1. What is the "Inside Diameter" of the EVA that you're looking for?

2. Ever think about wrapping the base with Paracord?

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 03:54PM

Phillip,
I often use shrink wrap over cork tape for saltwater builds except for the rare occasion the rod will be primarily used in a holder = Slick Butt. It is comfortable, easy to make (and repair as well!) and very durable. The only draw-back is possibly the weight; but then that could be a positive in assisting to balance a longer rod.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 03:58PM

Philip,
Actually, for a rough and tough grip, a length of the correctly sized rubber heater hose makes an excellent grip.

Put on a nice butt cap and a good joint at the reel seat and you will be good to go for about $2 for the material.
For example:

[www.oreillyauto.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 04:37PM

Get two grips and glue them together, cut the ends at an angle, put in an accent color piece and they will always think it was a designed that way. Use the same color as the wraps, or do the same in the foregrip to balance it.

Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 04:50PM

A couple years back I bought 24inch Eva from Biscayne rods in Miami. Might be worth it to give them a call. Also, try Juno bait and tackle.

One of the main reasons you see such long rear grips is a lot those rods have butt extensions installed to lengthen them. Many times after the rod is already built. With that said, you may not like a 20 plus inch rear grip on a 8 foot rod.

Posted by: Richard Popola (---.tamp.fl.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 08:53PM

Split Grip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster