I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for old Fenwick handle or reel seat
Posted by: Gianmaria Vigo (---.cust.vodafonedsl.it)
Date: January 11, 2021 11:12AM

Hello everybody,
I'm looking for an old Fenwick spinning rod (mainly from 90s like Legacy, Golden Wing, HMG etc.. ) sporting a handle like in the attached picture.
Broken rods are also welcome, even better than the whole rod. Just need it to rebuild a Fenwick rod with "family" components....

Many thanks
Gianmaria

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 11:49AM by Gianmaria Vigo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for old Fenwick handle or reel seat
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2021 10:36AM

Amico, I don't know if you've already looked but @#$%& has a lot of "vintage" rods on their site. I was looking last night at old St. Croix rods on @#$%&. There are a lot. I think it would be fun to get ahold of an older rod...strip it down to the blank and rebuild on it. Kind of like building a hotrod out of an old car. Check out @#$%&. Good luck. I am editing this because the word I put in was replaced by symbols. Perhaps that word is banned? The word I used was one of the sites online where you can buy (and sell) items. @#$%&-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2021 10:54AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Date: January 16, 2021 12:35PM

Thank you for your suggestions (unfortunately website names were censored).
I guess the right place to look for it it's this community. As you can read from my message, broken rods are also welcome due to my SPECIFIC need of the reel seat only.
I don't think buying a pre-owned rod to completely tear it down in order to get the reel seat would be an acceptable option, unless it's the ONLY way but with some regrets because it's a real pity...

I already have a Fenwick rod with this reel seat but I cannot keep them both: I can tear the rod down to re-use the blank (and I'll do it) or I can cut the blank and lathe the grip part to get the clean reel seat out... here's the situation so a broken rod would be a great option...

Let's allow some time, maybe some RB user will reply...

Anyway thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 17, 2021 10:25AM

Why not just use one of the existing grip/reel seat options that will get you the same result? Is the exact look more important than the finished grip in use?

Date: January 19, 2021 12:18PM

The reason of my search is rebuilding a rod which I love, in my way. If standard reel seats were good this post would have no reason to be written, so neither read.

I want to build a handle like the new Fenwick Tiemco rods as in the below attached pictures. The closest method to achieve this reel seat is a modified Fuji VSS but requires lathe skills. Already discussed with Matagi's Mamoru Tsuruta and it's complex. Better starting with an old Fenwick reel seat from the nineties.

The original 90's Fenwick reel seat is almost identical to the Fenwick Tiemco one, just needs some painting but it's hard for me to separate reel seat from my blank without making any damage, if I can choose I'll let the blank to survive. It's a Fenwick Golden Wing from the nineties and I love its action. I want to rebuild it following Fenwick Tiemco Golden Wing Tour Edition rods, which are pricey re-issues maybe with modern materials. But I love this rod and I want it refreshed, that's why. Until now I have just stripped down guides, wraps and surface paint, I'll start with a new finish then with the handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 12:27PM by Gianmaria Vigo.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 19, 2021 05:05PM

You could certainly make something similar using the Fuji IPS or VSS reel seat with either a full length or split cork handle to fit it, and a hidden thread hood, such as the Fuji KDPS, KSKSS, or HPS, with a matching cork sleeve. No lathe skills needed and the cork handle parts are all available. The hidden thread hood used on the Fenwick handle looks a lot like the HPS hood. You can get a cork adapter for the IPS seat and make the handle any length or shape you want, by just glueing cork rings to it and turning it to shape. If you wanted a carbon fiber grip, NFC makes them to fit both the VSS and IPS seats.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Gianmaria Vigo (93.51.24.---)
Date: January 19, 2021 06:23PM

Thanks Norman for your patience.

In effect I've been plotting a job plan a couple of years ago, using standard Fuji components and a little lathing (with the help of a friend).
Here's attached the main blocks scheme.

As you can see they match your suggestions almost perfectly...

I've been thinking at a 90's Fenwick reel seat for a brand-coherence reason and because it's almost ready... I know I'm a visionary..

Better chance to find it in the USA than here in Europe...

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2021 07:32PM

I would think that using an uncut IPS reel seat with the appropriate cork grip would be more comfortable and lighter than cutting it and adding a plastic graphite collar. Also easier to put together. However, if it’s the Fenwick look you are going after, then your plan is a pretty good match. Good luck with your quest.
Norm

Posted by: Gianmaria Vigo (93.51.24.---)
Date: January 20, 2021 03:31PM

Yes, I'd love to replicate its Fenwick look...
Thanks man

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster