I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat varnish
Posted by: Dumonteil Alexis (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 03:47AM

Hello,
Happy new year !

Do you have a technique to have a minimum of bubble in the Flex Coat varnish? I would also like to have your advice about varnish coats. It is better to make 2?

Thank you in advance !
Best regards, Alexis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat varnish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2021 09:42AM

Stir slowly. Work at room temperature. Limit brush strokes on the wrasp.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2021 11:13AM

Alexis

The best practice for our 2 part epoxy finish is to warm the finish prior to mixing to about 90 degrees F. This will help the 2 parts mix easily and minimize bubbles. Measure at least 3cc's of each part for a 6cc mix and mix with a round, non-porous stirrer like we sell or the back of a clean brush handle. Mix in a well lit area and scrape the walls and bottom of the mixing cup. Don't mix too fast to avoid a foamy mess. The mix will appear marbled, then cloudy, then marbled again and then turn clear, mix it until it is crystal clear. In a well lit area you can see down through the mixture and see any streaks of un-mixed, or uncombined parts in the cup and mix until you can see none of those. It helps to see those streaks if you set the cup on white paper with black print on it. If you have some bubbles at this point, we can handle those next. Pour out the mix on an aluminum foil wrapped paper plate, this will give you a longer working time and spread the mix out to pop bubbles. For an instant bubble pop, you can quickly wave a torch over the top of the finish on the aluminum foil. Now you can use the foil covered plate as a tray under you rod to keep your workspace drip free.

Here is a video on the subject:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.liteplain.com)
Date: January 11, 2021 01:05PM

I use flexcoat which IMO is great stuff - the best I've found so far in over 50 years of rodbuilding.

I mix mine vigorously, because that works for me. Learned that particular lesson about mixing epoxy thoroughly from "Gene" the rod repair guy and fellow employee, at Atlas Sports in the Washington DC area lo those many years ago.

Yes it does bubble up a bit when I mix it.

My secret is using a hair dryer or heat gun. Heat gun is inexpensive (under 10 bux) at Harbor Freight.

After stirring the mix, I leave it alone for a few seconds, say 20 seconds, for the bubbles to dissapate. Than I shine a heat gun on it for 5-10 seconds at low speed. This calms it down a bit, making lots of the bubbles go away, or at least the froth of bubbles on the top.

After applying the Fex Coat I then go back and shine my heat gun at low speed for a few seconds on each wrap.

What this does is pop any bubbles (with paintbrush assist if needed) and also thins out the mix so it smooths out and flows smoothly while drying on the turner. Professional looking results.

Wonderful stuff. Flex-Coat plus the heat gun.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 02:23PM by Philip Engle.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 02:25PM

Put water in a ceramic coffee mug or anything that can be placed in a microwave and heat the water for 60 seconds. Use two mugs. Only do one at a time in the microwave, one right after the other. Put epoxy containers in mugs with hot water and wait 10 minutes. The epoxy will be warm enough to mix as per John's instructions.

Posted by: Dumonteil Alexis (---.w86-213.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 11, 2021 03:41PM

Thank you gentlemen for your feedback but after a lot of trying I still can't get the result I wanted.
I'm looking for something very specific. My goal is to have an extremely smooth varnish like a car body with a ceramic coating and without blisters or other unevenness. I always try to have perfection on the rest of the pieces and that's the one thing that I can't seem to have. Here are the photos of a varnish made by a rodbuilder who has stopped. The absolutely splendid result ...
Look on the photos :
I research this result.

[mail.google.com]

[mail.google.com]

Date: January 11, 2021 05:17PM

You can do the same thing with Flex Coat. You need to work on your finishing technique.

Date: January 11, 2021 05:45PM

Apparently the base of the varnish has to be very smooth for the flex coat to take shape. What do you think?

Date: January 11, 2021 09:39PM

The Flex Coat goes on directly over the thread or over a coat of color preserver. That's all you need. Rod builders do this every day with perfect results. Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 10:50PM

the easiest way for me is to seal the wraps first with flex coat color preserver, let dry overnight and apply epoxy or what ever finish..with sealed wraps the epoxy sits on top and can very eaasily level out across the wrap..any bubbles will quickly go to the surface and pop..if the wraps are not sealed the epoxy is absorbed into the thread very unevenly leaving thick and thin spots..in this case you have to apply even more epoxy to cover the thick and thin spots and may still need to apply another coat..this is how you make epoxy sellers very happy..lol. again if you seal the wraps first, you will need only one coat of epoxy but you will make epoxy sellers unhappy..lol.

Date: January 12, 2021 03:28AM

The manufacturers they varnish with guns or brush like us?

Date: January 12, 2021 08:02AM

Brushes or spatulas.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 11:18AM

What benefit is there to coating a rod blank with varnish, epoxy, or paint?

Date: January 12, 2021 11:22AM

Are we talking about finishing guide wraps or the blank?

Posted by: Dumonteil Alexis (---)
Date: January 12, 2021 01:46PM

Just 10 cm on the blank on the sticker

Date: January 13, 2021 07:59AM

Apply a coat of color preserver over the sticker. Let dry and then apply the Flex Coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster