I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polyester vs Nylon
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 08, 2021 11:13AM

Any reason you couldn't use metallic polyester thread instead of nylon thread for a 3 or 4 turn trim band?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polyester vs Nylon
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 11:19AM

No. Not for trim.

[www.diffen.com].

"Nylon and polyester are both synthetic fabrics, but nylon production is more expensive, which results in a higher price for the consumer. Nylon also tends to be more durable and weather-resistant, which is why it is more likely to be used in outdoor apparel or gear. Both fabrics are flame retardant, but nylon is stronger, while polyester is more heat-resistant."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2021 11:19AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: January 08, 2021 11:50AM

So if you cover it with guide epoxy the weather resistant and durability aspects are a moot point, correct? I have used polyester embroidery thread for years for ribbing on nymphs and wet flies and have never had a problem with it. I will admit tho I hang a lot of them in trees and bushes so maybe if I used them longer ???? Who knows

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 12:08PM

Fuji wrapping thread is a polyester thread, and works very well. Polyester threads used for embroidery or sewing are usually treated with a lubricant to allow them to be used in an embroidery or sewing machine. This lubricant May cause problems with the epoxy finished if not covered with CP.
Norm

Date: January 08, 2021 02:06PM

The thread I am planning on using is designed for hand embroidery, my wife who uses a machine to embroider assures me there is no lubricant in thread designed for hand use. She is a pretty smart woman so I am assuming she knows what she is talking about. Worst case scenario is it doesnt look good and I have to rewrap, its a Covid project so its not like Im pressed for time. Thank you Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 02:35PM

One difference between Polyester and Nylon is Stretch.

i.e. Nylon tends to stretch quite a bit but Polyester stretches very little.

---------------------------------------

You can just do a test. Take 3 feet of nylon thread and take 3 feet of polyester thread. Take about two wraps of thread on each hand and just pull your hands apart and make note of the thread stretch - before breaking for each thread.

You will normally fine that polyester stretches very little before breaking compared to nylon which tends to stretch quite a bit before breaking.

----------------------
This can be very important in rod building, because with the tension that most folks wrap, the nylon thread is normally wrapped in a slightly stretched condition. The result of this, is that the wraps tend to be tighter and remain tighter on the rod, and thus give the thread guides a more secure connection to the rod blank.

=============================================================
Many years ago when we were growing up, I learned to water ski when I was about 10 years old. As our family grew up, my father purchased a boat, that we continued to enjoy as we grew up. We would pull each other on anything that you can imagine.
Pieces of plywood, canoe paddles, shovels, skis, toboggans .

One day, we happened to have a 100 foot 1/4 inch piece of nylon rope.

Normally we skied behind the standard 75 foot polyester rope. When you were pulled behind the boat with the polyester ski rope, the boat took up the slack and then popped the throttle and you were up and skiing.

However, when my brother hit the throttle on the boat with myself holding the end of the 100 foot nylon rope, the boat kept going and I stayed still in the water.

Suddenly, all of the stretch came out of the rope and I was ejected up and out to the top of the water. Then, the rope soaked up the stretch and I settled back into the water. Repeat and repeat.
Finally, I figured out that to ski behind a boat using a nylon rope, I had to keep the stretch out of the rope. So, the next time that I popped up to the top of the water, I immediately turned hard out, to kick my out of the wake of the boat and to keep the line stretched. So, as long as I would keep turning and keeping pressure on the rope, I could ski just fine. But, if I went straight ahead, the stretch would come out of the rope and I would settle back into the water.

-----------------------------------------
I simply mention this, is that you may need to set the thread tension differently using polyester thread - compared to the thread tension that you use when wrapping with nylon thread.

Before doing a bunch of wrapping with a different kind of thread - like polyester thread - do some test wraps and check for guid tightness, and also do some test finish application on the different thread. Then, when you are confident in your method of application and use with the Polyester thread - go ahead and wrap that new rod.

Best wishes.

p.s.
A link to a white paper on threads:
[sailrite.wordpress.com].

Date: January 08, 2021 03:11PM

Thank you

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 08, 2021 04:43PM

We are picking nits here. Did I spell that right?

Date: January 08, 2021 08:17PM

Picking nits?? You lost me

Date: January 08, 2021 08:40PM

Jim - To nitpick is to be concerned about or find fault with small insignificant details. Got its derivation from the word nit which is the egg of a louse, so a nitpicker is someone who picks on very small and insignificant things. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: January 08, 2021 09:12PM

Yes I know what the term nitpick means, I just dont know what it has to do with this thread. My original question was nitpicking? Some of the replies were nitpicking? I think I asked a credible question, people gave their measured and objective opinions and I believe I learned something and maybe someone else did as well

Date: January 08, 2021 09:27PM

No, your question was just fine. It was Roger's comment about the nylon strech factor, though true, is still a conern over a small detail, which Michael was having fun with. It was meant to be light hearted.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 09, 2021 08:12AM

Yes, meant to be light-hearted. Sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster