I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Practice fly rod?
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: January 07, 2021 07:05PM

New to me. A friend just asked me if I would be interested in building him a practice fly rod. I didn't know that was a thing until today. Has anyone here built one? Any build recommendations would be appreciated. I see they aren't very expensive and looks like my local bass pro has one so I plan on stopping in to check it out. ( great excuse to go shopping as well) thanks as always

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 09:14PM by Mark D Schulte.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Practice fly rod?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 06:14AM

And to think I used a dowel with a length of yarn on it.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 12:35PM

Spencer, that's what I was thinking. Everyone cashing in on lack of ingenuity.

Date: January 08, 2021 12:56PM

It wasn't my idea either, Mel Krieger showed us at a beginner fly casting class I went to at the Golden Gate Casting Club in San Francisco. We also saw him cast a full flyline with a broom handle he taped a guide onto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 02:11AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: January 08, 2021 02:05PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 02:12AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 08, 2021 04:44PM

Anyone have any experience with the practice set that Orvis sells?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 09, 2021 02:06AM

The gold standard for as long as I can remember is the Fly-O by the Royal Wulff company. I believe that it was developed more by Joan than Lee.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 09, 2021 05:00PM

Hunters practice (target-shoot) with their hunting rifles, operating under the assumption that since that is the rifle they hunt with that's the rifle they should practice shooting with. Makes me wonder why some anglers practice casting with sticks and yarn - or special practice rods with special practice line?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 09, 2021 11:25PM

It’s because of space and expense. You need a fairly good size, low traffic lot to practice back and forward casts with regular gear. A pricey fly line is ruined almost immediately by casting over pavement or grass. “Learning” is probably a better term than “practice” for these.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 11:32PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 10, 2021 10:43AM

Grass?

Posted by: Torin Koski (---)
Date: January 10, 2021 12:31PM

I usually think of this as more of a “cat toy” with a feather tied to a string tied to the end of a wand, but I’ve thought about taking a 3’6” light ice fishing blank and mounting a very small real seat with aluminum slip rings and a 5” grip and about 5 guides plus top and a tiny fly reel loaded with the level rear section of old scrap fly line attached to a thread- based furled leader. I’d use this for my granddaughters to develop hand-eye coordination skills.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 10, 2021 06:38PM

Not all fly fishers need to double haul, but those fly fishers who fish rivers, bays, lakes, and oceans will greatly benefit from learning to double-haul. Those who need not cast more than 25 feet might learn all they need to know about fly casting by practicing with a dowel rod and a line of knitting yarn - but a competent fly caster learns how to cast the LINE (not the fly) - AND learns to double-haul.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 10:17PM

Phil, your are obviously a double haul proponent as you have expressed for years, but it has ne relevance for this thread! A practice casting rod is often used and very helpful for introducing beginners to the shape and disciple of the fly casting. Being able to very clearly see the loop shape is one of the most important benefits! As as mentioned above it can be easily demonstrated indoors............................try that with a "double haul!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster