I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Attaching tiptop/weight to blank for CCS setup
Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 12:04PM

Been reading many CCS articles here. I started performing some CCS measurements on my collection of rods and blanks. Attaching weights to a finished rod or one with a tip top was easy enough. But what if you are testing a blank?

I was using a paperclip and dental tubing which worked fine for lighter power and moderate blanks. But I have some heavier F/XF blanks that had the clip slip off due to the angle and weight. I saw NFC deflection tests that used a clamp, is that standard?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attaching tiptop/weight to blank for CCS setup
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 02:02PM

Fold a small piece of masking tape across the tip of the blank, pierce that so you can hang a paper clip through the tape.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 03:14PM

Ever tie a line to a cane pole?

You can always glue any old tip on for testing. I used to have a couple of spare ones and cement in my tackle box at all times!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 04:04PM

a piece of gorilla tape works for me around the tip guide..

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:28PM

Thanks Jeff/Ben, I'll give the tape and hang method a try.

Thanks Russell, I've never actually tied a line to a cane pole. Is there a particular name of the knot/procedure? I unfortunately don't have any extra tip tops right now.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:36PM

Just put a tip top on the blank, unfold a paper clip to form a double hook. One hook into the tip top the other into a small pastic bag to which weight is added. When you get the 1/3 deflection just weigh the bag and paper clip or count the number of pennies used. Don't make a simple task complex.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:50PM

As Norman says. I have a kit in the garage where my CCS setup is which has bags of pennies and other weights (bullets from my reloading supplies that are equivalent to a bunch of pennies), a piece or rod tip for the AA measurement, hot melt, a large diameter tiptop which fits everything that I might want to test, and an AA card with a level attached.

Date: January 07, 2021 07:15PM

For AA measurements I bought an inexpensive digital angler indicator. Works quite well.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2021 08:40PM

I think the OP is asking about how to hang the weight from the tip of a naked blank. Lynn Williams once offered a slip on tube that did the trick, but you can just as easily fold a piece of duct tape around the exteme tip, punch a hole in it and use a paper clip to hand the bag of pennies from there. Count the tape, clip and bag as one penny. Close enough.

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 10:28PM

if you get some small surgical tubing, or guide foot tubing from MH you can cut a short length and then use a snap swivel and pierce the tube and close it. Tie a short length of string to the swivel and the other end to a paperclip. Then you can hang the weight from the paperclip. The tube slips off and on with no issue but will hold as much weight as it needs to

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 08, 2021 04:46PM

Norman, just received my digital level/angle measurement device today. Should be easier, more accurate than my old card and level. Suggested by Mark Talmo.

Date: January 08, 2021 05:26PM

Michael, those things are great. Can also use it to level the rod. Much better than the paper protractor I tried to use without much success.
Norm

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 07:31PM

Norman, are you using the digital angle finder in place of the action angle chart, and if so how are you setting this up. Thanks as always.

Date: January 08, 2021 09:59PM

Yes, I use it in place of the action angle chart. Just hold it against the the sloped blank tip section when deflected 1/3 it’s length. I’ve tried it blanks where the AA is known, and the results I got were right on. No guess work involved.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster