I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which NFC x-ray blank is closest to nrx 852?
Posted by: Tejas Patel (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 05:05PM

Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help me out with a question as I'm new to rod tip and butt measurements and how they relate to the overall rod power. I'm trying to build a custom rod using a North fork composites x-ray blank. I'm trying to get it similar to the power, action, and sensitivity of the Loomis NRX 852 spinning rod. If anyone can point me to the right model, that would be greatly appreciated. It seems like the power ratings and lure weight ratings on the NFC website don't seem to make any sense when you compare them to the tip and butt measurements. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which NFC x-ray blank is closest to nrx 852?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2021 08:23PM

I have never felt the NRX 852. Since nobody has answered, and I bought some NFC blanks recently, I'll suggest the Xray SJ-732-1. I have not built it yet but my initial impressions were a medium light power, 1/4" to 5/8" oz, 8-14# range. It is more powerful than the Xray SJ-703-1 despite what NFC says on their website.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 08:27PM

That's because the tip and butt diameters don't mean much, you can have a large diameter butt rod with a thin wall, and a small diameter thick wall rod that has the same characteristics in all ways except weight, the small diameter blank will weigh more because it will need more graphite to get the same power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 09:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 12:14AM

I recently ordered a NFC SJ732 in hopes of building a rod with similar characteristics to a G Loomis 852. I have not received my order yet, but I can let you know more when it arrives if you're interested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 12:16AM by Jordan Smith.

Posted by: Tejas Patel (73.7.216.---)
Date: January 07, 2021 08:29AM

That would be great, Jordan, if you could provide an update. Thanks all for the replies.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 12:30PM

I have an NRX 852S and built an xray MB 733. I can tell you the nrx is significantly faster and more powerful than the xray. I know this doesn't give you an answer, but at least helps with which blank is not the answer. It is a bit annoying that the power numbers from North Fork don't mean much even within the same line of blanks.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:14PM

I have the glx852c and the X-ray 732 is the closest match by far. The 732 has a softer tip and faster action which compares to the other nrx rods I have.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 07, 2021 05:40PM

What's the intrinsic power and action angle of the NRX 852? If we know these numbers maybe a close match could be found. Without these numbers you are just guessing.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 06:18AM

If I was in love with a rod and I couldn't get a blank, I'd just buy the rod.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (74.119.146.---)
Date: January 08, 2021 07:57PM

I think this is the most confusing part of NFC.

I think the sj732 is a medium light finesse lure type rod and find the mb 733 more of a medium power rod.

I have a X-ray 703 blank but have not built it yet, feeling like a finesse rod though too.

Date: January 09, 2021 03:41AM

I agree Dean. My SJ 732 is clearly more powerful than my SJ 703.

You have someone here that measured the SJ 703 at 343 gram and 73AA and another guy that measured 440 grams and 69AA. Did they even get the same blank?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: January 09, 2021 09:25PM

I have purchased 3 of the sj703. Two of them matched the specs listed on site and the third is way different. I’ve had that happen a couple of times now from nfc. But for the sale price they still made good rods

Date: January 10, 2021 11:20AM

Ross, what would rate the SJ703 at? NFC calls it 8-14#, 1/4-3/4 ounce. What I have is not that powerful in my opinion. Just trying to figure out if I actually have a SJ703!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 11, 2021 08:11PM

By specs, I meant the tip and butt diameters, and weight. They totally are not a 1/4 to 3/4 oz blank. It’s definitely a medium light and tops out at 1/2 oz. They need to start getting better accuracy at their rod ratings, checking their consistency, and sending out mislabeled product. I like their blanks and they are a bargain at the sale prices but I think I’ll take a rest on them until they figure that stuff out.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2021 04:58PM

Ross, if you're comparing the blanks feel to other blanks or rods, that's one thing. But as Spencer said earlier, you can't base it off of tip size and butt diameter unless you know for a fact that the blank's wall thicknesses are the same, and that they use the same material in the same parts of the blank.

Even the weight of a blank can be misleading. Not all high powered blanks are heavy, and not all light powered blanks are light.

Date: January 14, 2021 06:23PM

David, he was answering my question. It was basically about trying to know what you got from NFC.

For example I'd wager your MB-736 are actually SJ-736.

Now that is only important when you want to buy the same blank later.....or if you are comparing blanks and it turns out you guys don't have the same blank....even though you both ordered the same model#:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 16, 2021 08:55PM

Tejas,

If you're still out there, I just received the SJ-732 x-ray today. I have not measured CCS, but doing a quick side-by-side flex of the tips revealed a very similar blank to my 852 imx in terms of speed and power.

Posted by: Alex Wood (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2023 04:59PM

Jordan, if you’re still out there, did you ever finish and test this rod? I’m in the hunt for the exact thing as the original author of this thread. Please let me know how that 732 turned out in terms of action and power. Thanks.

Jordan Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tejas,
>
> If you're still out there, I just received the
> SJ-732 x-ray today. I have not measured CCS, but
> doing a quick side-by-side flex of the tips
> revealed a very similar blank to my 852 imx in
> terms of speed and power.

Posted by: Keith George (---)
Date: March 03, 2023 09:29PM

I think you want the MB 704 in the HM series. The 705 is supposed to be based off the 843. They also make the 704 in a 734 (7’3”) length. If you end up going with 7’ models please note the sale they are running. The more blanks you purchase the greater the savings - up to a point. Buying two HMs discounts both rods to 50% but adding a third it goes to 75%. This makes the third blank essentially $25 depending on what you buy. I own the 734 if you let me the intended use you are looking for. I built it as a casting rod and it is great for Shakey heads, small top waters and 1/4 oz Texas rigged drop shots.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 03, 2023 10:00PM

I'm following hoping the point blank guys chime in on this.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster