I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Fishing Rods
Posted by: Seth Holt (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 01:09PM

I am looking for an article or information on Ice Fishing Rods. I know that their has been a lot of development on these rods in the past couple of years but not much information is available about them. It seems that in this case the commercial market is ahead of the builders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Fishing Rods
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 06, 2021 03:31PM

Seth, excuse my ignorance but how much better can you make an ice rod..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 08:06PM

Seth,
I have been building ice fishing rods for many years. Thorne Brothers in Minneapolis has always been on the tip of the ice fishing spear and helped to prod the industry with their innovative blank designs.

Best wishes

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2021 10:26PM

Ice rods are some of the most custom rods available. Many ice rod builders refine tapers of solid carbon and fiberglass blanks to fine tune rods for specific lure weights and presentations.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2021 11:00AM

RodMaker did a task specific article on ice rods a few years ago. I'd have to go back and find that issue when I have more time. Or you can search for it on the back issue page.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2021 03:12PM

Hello Tom.

Is this the one you are talking about?

V/I - Name - Written by - page
20/1 Complete Guide For Building Ice Rods. By Buzz Butters. 16

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2021 03:14PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Seth Holt (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 03:48PM

in the last couple of years, there has been the emergence of of the "Palm" Rod and nobody has components for these. Also, the differences in Material used, Taper, and length are changing a lot in the industry with the manufacturers of Ice rods racing to catch up. Many people want extra sensitive tips and a lot of back bone. I have trouble finding blanks like this. Most of the blanks available are very stiff and not suited for today's ice fishing. Check out the subject. this is becoming an interesting area of discussion for these rods.

Date: January 08, 2021 06:09PM

Does anyone use braided line or do they still use mono?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 06:23PM

Many use 1lb test flouro and smaller

Date: January 08, 2021 08:18PM

Ben,
If you fish out of a heated ice hut, you can use braid very well.

However, if you fish out in the open when the temp is -20F, braid simply does not work.

Braid is woven and it traps water. When the line is reeled up onto the reel, the trapped moisture in the line freezes solid and rather than having line on your reel you have a block of ice on your reel. Tough to unspool ice.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 08, 2021 08:44PM

Makes sense to me. Never lived anyplace where it got cold enough to ice fish, thank God.
Norm

Date: January 08, 2021 09:14PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ben,
> If you fish out of a heated ice hut, you can use
> braid very well.
>
> However, if you fish out in the open when the temp
> is -20F, braid simply does not work.
>
> Braid is woven and it traps water. When the line
> is reeled up onto the reel, the trapped moisture
> in the line freezes solid and rather than having
> line on your reel you have a block of ice on your
> reel. Tough to unspool ice.
>
> Best wishes.

In the open at -20F ? surely you jest..lol.

Date: January 08, 2021 11:57PM

Ben,
Actually, I have built a lot of ice rods for a group of Canadian fishermen who fish lake Winnipeg in the winter.

Yes, they will hole hop in the open when the North west wind is blowing and the temperature is at -40F in the open.

They catch lots and lots of fish - by moving.

Best wishes.

Date: January 09, 2021 12:03AM

Your question reminded me of the time when I was with a group of fishing friends who were up north for a bit of ice fishing.
No, we were not fishing in the open, rather we would drive out on the lake and go into heated and prepped ice houses that had all of the comforts of home.

However, it was on the last day of the trip when I went out to my buddies truck for the return trip home. At the time it was about -35F.

My buddy got into his truck and I closed the door - hard enough so that the door would latch in the severe cold.

Crash - the side door window shattered, scattering gun shot sized pieces of glass all over.

Then, the fun part was driving the 250 miles hole being next to a broken window in the sub zero weather.

I took a spare coat and wrapped it around the door and closed it, which kept the worst of the cold out, but no doubt - it was indeed a chilly day. But, we had had a good time and had caught plenty of fish.

Fish in the winter on the ice. Yes, it works fine as long as one is prepared.

Be safe.

Date: January 09, 2021 08:56PM

The average arctic winter temperature is -30F says google..that,s average..there is probably some -40F days..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster