I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advise on mailing
Posted by: John Menken (47.199.179.---)
Date: January 05, 2021 07:35PM

Hello everyone,
I have to mail two completed 7ft saltwater trout rods.
What is the fastest, most convenient way to do this?
For example, could "going Postal" handle the entire thing?
If I need to buy Home Depot PVC, what width, schedule, etc should I look for?
Thank you very much.
John M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advise on mailing
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 08:05PM

I use USPS all the time and never had a problem. I'm less than a mile from the PO so it's quite convenient for me. I ship rods in 3" schedule 20 sewer/drain pipe. The schedule 40 is much heavier, and I don't think it protects any better. I use PVC end caps taped in place.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.166.213.151.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 05, 2021 10:37PM

I've shipped in schedule 20 and rods have been broke upon arrival. Schedule 40 has never failed me. As a note: I ALWAYS defer to Norman when seeking advice. He has never been off the mark .

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 01:57AM

I’ve lived in locales where breakage and package damage was rare to nonexistent. I’ve lived in places where anything short of a steel belted tire was likely to be delivered in shattered pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2021 01:58AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 11:34AM

Copy the comments on the use of schedule 20 3 inch drain pipe for shipping rods.

Unless the pipe gets stuck in a conveyor, the schedule 20 will be just fine.

If a schedule 40 gets stuck in a conveyor it will snap just like a match stick as well.

To avoid having any thing hanging over the ends, I use cardboard for the end caps and use filament tape to take the cardboard in place. This style end cap results in a smooth pipe with nothing hanging off the ends. It also costs 5 cents compared to $3 for the pvc caps.

I normally use Fed Ex because of its convenience to me.

If you happen to be in the 5 state Midwest states that are serviced by Speedy Delivery for both the source and destination, Speedy is about 1/2 the price of any other carrier. But, both the source and destination have to be in the area that is serviced by
Speedy.

Best wishes.

p.s.
Over all of the years, I have only had a few things broken by the shippers.
I broken by USPS.
I broken by Fed Ex
1 broken by UPS.

So I have to rate the shippers equal with respect to overall good handling of the rods being shipped.

Posted by: John Menken (47.199.179.---)
Date: January 06, 2021 11:39AM

Do you fit the cardboard down into the pipe itself?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 06, 2021 08:04PM

John,
No:

I just use the tube for a pattern and cut out the circle that fits to the outside edges of the end of the tube. Then, while holding it in place, put on multiple sections of fiberglass filament tape to secure each end of the tube.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster