I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

India ink
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 04, 2021 06:40PM

If you use India ink to add a signature to a graphite rod blank do you have to give it a light coat of guide wrap or is it waterproof?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: India ink
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2021 06:53PM

I'd think you'd want to protect it regardless. A quick smear of CP and then a coat of epoxy and it'll be there from now on. Otherwise it is subject to scratches, rubbing, wear, etc.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 04, 2021 07:00PM

Protect it - but don't use India ink - or ink of any kind.
Go to a hobby store and get some OPAQUE - repeat - OPAQUE fabric paint. Many colors - if you don't like the color - just mix white with whatever.
Use a fine nib "dip and write" pen.
Wait 5-10 min before you coat it.
Jerb

Date: January 04, 2021 07:09PM

Herb: why do you say not to use India ink? I have a rod built 5 years ago and my daughter "signed" it for me and I can see no detrimental effects. I did cover that that with a light coat of guide epoxy but I was wondering if that was even necessary

Date: January 04, 2021 07:38PM

Jim,
Ink didn't work for me. Too translucent to see properly. The way it was for me anyway.

Herb

Date: January 04, 2021 07:57PM

Thanks Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 08:10PM

Black India ink works fine!

Date: January 04, 2021 09:55PM

Phil
I only used white ink on raw carbon
Herb

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2021 05:21AM

I always cover the signature area with finish. Just be sure to let the ink dry, India Ink, I give it 12 hours.

Black India ink works great, the other colors like White, Gold and Silver, the viscosity of them is too light. If you need to use those colors, get some Testors Model paint or another model paint that is not water based.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2021 07:20AM

Don't forget Testors hobby paints. They work fine also.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 05, 2021 08:36AM

Jim,

This may be outside of what you're thinking, but you can go to Decal Connection (One of the sponsors on this page) and ANY "script" you want or any "font" you can think of, they can make it as a "decal" in Gold Medal or Silver Medal. Most ANY color you can think of as well and they can also "shadow" the text if you want. Best part is, purchasing just "one decal" isn't an issue!

I know it may not give the exact "personal touch" you're thinking, but it sure makes it a whole lot easier. Apply it to the rod, cover it with finish, and you're done.

I add the name of every person who purchases a rod from me to their rod and 90% of the time "Segoe Script" is what they love and it looks like handwriting.

[decalconnection.com]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 10:05AM

Over the years, I have used a bunch of different markings for rod blank inscriptions.

Testors Model paint works very well.
India Ink works very well.

But, my go to finish for all of my rods is Ball Acrylic Paint. It is water soluble for easy clean up, easy to clean the nibs, a wide variety of colors and it simply works very very well.

I always put the lettering on, before I apply any guide wrap finish to the rods. So, I cover the lettering at the same time that I cover the rest of the thread wraps with finish.

One important thing if you are going directly over the inscription with thread wrap finish. Do, not let the brush touch the inscription. Rather, use freshly mixed thin finish and apply the finish to the side of the rod on which there is no finish and let the thin finish run down the rod and over the top of the inscription. The thin finish runs over the inscription very well and it does an excellent job of covering the inscription. But, if you have an uncoated inscription and touch a bruch to that area of the blank, you may smear the inscription.

Then, if you decide that another layer of finish is required on some or all parts of the rod where finish is being applied, you can use the brush anywhere with no concern about smearing or changing anything in the finish - due to the first coat of finish protecting the inscription and thread wraps.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 11:22AM

I use Dr Ph Martins iridescent calligraphy ink in gold, silver and black. Works great, they do not bleed or smear when coating with finish, in fact you can put a coat of Permagloss over it. A bottle will last a long time, and if it does not flow freely from the nib pen then just a a few drops of alcohol to the bottle and shake.
Norm

Date: January 05, 2021 07:31PM

Thanks to everyone. Stay safe, better days are coming!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2021 05:30PM

I just caution that all india inks are not equal. And not all other media types are either. Best bet is to do a test to determine if what you are using will run when CP/Epoxy/whatever is applied over it. IMO, all writing and decals on the blank need to be topped with wrap epoxy to protect them.

Posted by: David MacDonald (216.246.24.---)
Date: January 10, 2021 07:38AM

I always use white Speedball acrylic ink with a pen and nib combination. It’s waterproof and doesn’t run under any top coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster