I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crazy Question
Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: January 04, 2021 10:19AM

Building a Cat rod.

What do you think about using clear Gorilla glue instead of epoxy?

Now this is just a thought everyone.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crazy Question
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 10:22AM

Not a very good idea.

Take care

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 11:49AM

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but I've done it a couple times. Most recent was a 7' 20-40lb conventional setup built last winter for live lining bunker/eels for stripers. Used all last year and never once was taken out of the sun or weather. Lived in the rocket launcher rod holder on the boat all year on purpose to see how it held up. The finish looks absolutely brand new mint. The thread work does show some fading. I tried it because you can get it to cure with moisture (steam) very quickly in cold New England basements and use it almost immediately. I was just curious more than anything...my 2 cents.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 11:52AM

Which components are you thinking about bonding with Gorilla glue.

If you are bonding the reel seat, grips, butt caps or tip tops I see no problem providing the glue achieves full set or cure. For thread finish I do not recommend it.

A word of caution, whenever one deviates from known standards or practice one has to take their chances and suffer the consequences if the results do not meet expectations.

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 12:39PM

If it works don't fix it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 03:59PM

Two fine comments from John and Phil. I am amazed at how often it appears that builders think that some product unrelated to and not designed for rod building will equal or outperform products designed specifically for rod building. There are a few exceptions, like TiteBond III for cork rings, but for the most part, there is less risk in sticking to the stuff designed for rod building.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 12:19PM

i used gorilla glue for reel seats and grips on party boat rental rods about 5 years ago these rods are used and abused and have not had one come back with reel seat or grip coming loose. .I tried it because there was no mixing use right out of the bottle

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 05, 2021 01:14PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two fine comments from John and Phil. I am amazed
> at how often it appears that builders think that
> some product unrelated to and not designed for rod
> building will equal or outperform products
> designed specifically for rod building. There are
> a few exceptions, like TiteBond III for cork
> rings, but for the most part, there is less risk
> in sticking to the stuff designed for rod
> building.

some products not originally designed for rod building....fiberglass, cork, graphite, carbon fiber, ceramic, etc. etc. I'm not saying it's the best thing in the world, but a little curiosity, building and testing isn't the worst thing in the world.

Date: January 05, 2021 05:12PM

You make a good point , Dan, and I think looking back that I may have over-stated what I was trying to say. Rod building evolved utilizing much stuff which was not designed for rod building. It has become integrated into rod building because it has been proven to work.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 07:20PM

Here is a PDF file by Tim Anderson who uses Gorilla glue as a bamboo rod finish. Hope it come through.
[www.google.com]
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 07, 2021 09:36AM

There is "epoxy Gorilla Glue", which probably is not much different chemically than other brands of epoxy glue - or it could not be called "epoxy glue"?!

Date: January 07, 2021 11:08AM

Well I tested the glue out on a wooden dowel.

I wanted to see if it would tern my nylon thread a darker color or retain its brightness.

It darkened just as much as the rod epoxy.

So failed test.

I will just have to use a colorfast.

Thanks for all your input.

Date: January 07, 2021 11:40AM

It's clearly not the right stuff for thread wraps. If retaining bright, rich , colors is a priority all you have to do is to use regular wrap thread with color preservative then thread wrap epoxy. It simply works. Thread that does not require CP looks good, but does not have the depth and sheen of regular thread + CP + thread wrap epoxy.

Date: February 19, 2021 09:40AM

Dan,

Did you use that glue on the threads? or just the handles and seat?

Thank you,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster