I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions on best guide wrap epoxies
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 09:33AM

I`ve been building rods for decades and have used Flew Coat for the majority of my builds with approval. I`m getting low and soon I will purchase more epoxy. I`m thinking of trying this Gen4 epoxy. Any feedback from users? How`s the pot life and bubble issues.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions on best guide wrap epoxies
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 10:23AM

Try a small bottle and check to verify that the results work or fail for you.

Take care

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 11:43AM

Why not stick to what's been working?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 03:27PM

I like Gen4 better than any other thread finish I’ve tried. While I’ve never had a serious problem with any, Gen4 just goes through every step of the finishing process with pure ease. It dries predictably, level, appropriately hard, and very clear. It’s bubble release has been absolutely great for me. I believe that its release technology is a noticeable improvement. I can’t make a fair comparison regarding pot life with either Flex Coat or ThreadMaster. I switched to foil cups simultaneously with moving to Gen4. Thus, I put a second variable in play. I’ve used it with one medium/thick coat and with two thin coats. During both types of applications, I tried to observe whether a “light build” version would an advantage. I really couldn’t see where that viscosity offering would have been an advantage. I’ve only used “A” thread, without underwraps, on fully finished blanks, though. I’ll be using it with “A” underwraps and “D” guide threads soon.

Unless something named “Gen5” completely replaces it, I’m not likely to ever test another finish. Gen4 just doesn’t seem to leave much room for anyone’s future efforts to gainfully improve on two-part finish technology. High production-rate operations could someday benefit by using UV cured finishes, but it’s hard for me to see where this product hasn’t pretty much closed the books on the evolution of the resin/hardener system. I just can’t think of a performance element that I wish to be better. I’ve used most major finishes that have been on the market since the late 1980’s, and this is the first one I can say that about. There is probably a limit to how much hardness and ultimate durability you want in a finish that has to flex and potentially be removed for repairs. I’ve only got a season on rods built with it, so it’s possible that a lifespan surprise is out there. This seems highly unlikely, though. Andy’s previous epoxy systems have been in use for quite a while now. UV protection components have probably not regressed.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: January 05, 2021 12:36PM

have to admit I'm a convert to Gen 4 from threadmaster. dries level and without bubbles.. took me a few rods to get it down pat but, it's the champ for me now..
I can't see the need for the lite myself..

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.91.---)
Date: January 05, 2021 11:50PM

If I may ask...
Who carries this fantastic Gen4?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2021 10:56AM

Hello Guy.

Try "Get Bit"<- in the list on the left.<-

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.91.---)
Date: January 06, 2021 01:04PM

Thank you, Bob.
Mitch appreciated.

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: January 11, 2021 09:43PM

I usually use Threadmaster and sometimes Flex Coat. I got some Gen 4 to try out. It really looks good and the bubbles release was the best ever, but for me I didn’t like the longer cure time. I do a lot of repairs and put finish on 3 or 4 rods at one time and then turn them by hand. The Gen 4 needed to be turned for about 2 hours verses 1 to 1 1/4 hours for the other 2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster