I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming Carbon Fiber??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 01:59PM

Just got a few fore grips, carbon fiber cfx brand. They don't need to be reamed will actually need a slight tape buildup. Anyways on the edges of the bore the carbon fiber is proud of the grip. Rather noticeable and uneven. Will be using a aluminum check and it with not sit flush. It actually sits noticeably crooked. Wondering best way to flatten out the carbon fiber. Unsure of how deep the fiber may be epoxied. Concerned I may start a frayed edge that will extend further than I can hide under the check. I am leaning towards a dremel tool and a very hard grinding wheel. Any advice? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming Carbon Fiber??
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 02:23PM

When I skin grips, I'll spin the grip on my drill lathe and come in with a #11 scalpel or exacto knife and with light pressure it will make short work of cutting through the carbon fiber. You could do something similar by shimming a drill bit with tape to a snug fit inside the grip. Have someone hold and run a cordless drill flat on the table, or better yet use a drill press or lathe while you make the cut.

The carbon fiber will have epoxy or a thermoset resin penetrated throughout binding all of the fibers together similar to a blank. A clean cut won't cause any fraying. A rough saw cut may cause issues.

The Dremel may work, but may also produce enough heat to soften the epoxy/resin depending on your technique, particularly if you use the face of the wheel like a disc sander.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 03:43PM

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the dust from sanding/grinding carbon fiber is quite hazardous. If don't already have one, getting a respirator might not be so easy right now.

Be safe and do some research. Also be aware it is conductive so keep away from electronics, etc.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 04:04PM

I have done that operation to multiple CFX grips using a Dremel with a tapered stone, and then lightly finishing with a half-moon point file. The power grinding needs a fine touch as it goes quickly. The dust isn’t something you want to breath.

Posted by: james stavola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 08:44PM

I had a carbon fiber grip with the same uneven end. I used a socket similar in diameter to the trim ring in a vise and just pushed down on the grip gently on the part that was raised. The foam is pretty soft and will compress very easy . You can judge how flush it sit using the socket as a guide. The carbon fiber will loosen enough the put the trim ring flush. It worked well for me.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2021 03:56PM

I just use a small diamond surface file and file by hand. Makes quick work of carbon fiber, and does not spit dust into the air like any electric tools. It is easy to control the sanding stroke by hand. And if you really want to capture all the dust, just wet the file and the dust will stick to the wet surface or drip into the sink, easily rinsed or wiped away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster