I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building for a specific reel
Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 12:33PM

Happy New Year builders! I often read statements regarding building to match the reel choice. I have searched and find no topics specifically addressing this method. I can see how the reel seat would be a consideration for a specific reel. I can also see how size, length, and action of the rod would be considered, but I would think this has to do more with methods, species, etc. What are some other considerations when "building to/for the reel"? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Fishing is not a sport, it is an art.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building for a specific reel
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2021 12:43PM

Mainly guide sizing, particularly the butt guide size and height.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 01:37PM

Well I will give you my thoughts,take them with a grain of salt as I have about 10 rod builds under my belt. I am currently building a rod ,it's a Lamiglas Certified Pro XSH 102 2 MT . I am building it specifically matched to a Daiwa BG 3000. So the Guide sizing is matched to that reel. But also,the color scheme of the rod I wanted to match the reel ,so I am putting on it Alps Y guides in titanium chrome with gold rings,and black thread wraps with gold trim embellishments. So that's my take on it. I sized the guides for the reel . There is lots of information here if you use the search engine. Good luck!

Robert

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 01:38PM

Weight of the reel and how it is distributed can effect balance of the rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 02:15PM

A couple great articles in the Library page above can go a long way to teaching you the fundamentals of guide trains.

For spinning rods: New Guide Concept - Spinning rods will teach you the fundamentals of modern spinning guide trains. Angler's Resource, the US importer of Fuji components has a couple links regarding their New Guide Concept and the KR concept that will help you to select Fuji components. KR is a system designed for small diameter limp lines, particularly braid, but many are having good success with the lighter monos that are used in freshwater and inshore saltwater applications with it as well. These sources will help with sizing guides for spinning reels.

For all rods: Static Guide Placement will help you understand how to use your guides to more effectively distribute the load on the rod. For spinning applications I use the static placement to place the guides between the choker guide and the tip top. For casting applications, the static test is used to place all of the guides.

When it comes to casting rods, sizing is fairly straightforward. You need to ask yourself a series of questions. Do I need to keep the line off of a fore grip when the rod is under heavy load? If so, do I need to keep it off of my hand as well? These will help you determine sizing of the butt guide. For modern bass casting reels, anything from a single foot fly type 4mm guide up to a 10mm or 12mm double foot guide can be used. The line is leaving the reel under control of the level wind guide. I generally go with double foot 6mm single foot 5mm and 4mm to the tip for most of my bass rods. If I want to use 5mm or 6mm guides as the smallest, I'll start with an 8mm double foot and go straight to 5mm or 6mm guides afterwards. For wide and large round reels, start at 12mm and go up from there based on the height of the reel and fore grip requirements.

When in doubt, tell the guys here what you have in mind including the fishing application, blank, reel model and size, as well as line type and size, and the knowledgeable here will point you in the right direction.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 02:54PM

Danny, I frankly don't care what specific reel a rod has as long as I stay in the same size group, most of the rods I've built no longer use the same reel they originally built for. Frankly in today's world, a well designed rod will cast pretty much the same with anyone's reel on it in the same size group, any differences will be attributed to reels, or lines more than rods.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 03:51PM

My reel is a device that stores, dispenses and retrieves fishing line on request. I selected the reel for size, comfort and ease of operation.
My rod manages all of the exciting action.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 04:32PM

I think there may be more fish caught on this planet by people who do not use a rod or reel, just a line and hook..that,s how i got started..thank goodness for eels and catfish..lol.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 07:37PM

Thanks for the information, which has cleared this up in my mind considerably. As a fisherman, it seemed logical to buy a rod and reel that matched my needs and went well together. I guess I was looking to buy with this very feature in mind. I guess that is one of the reasons I am building. Sorry if I ask questions that are covered in other areas such as the library. I have read a great deal of the information on this site, and search posts before asking. But sometime I forget to search through the library. Thanks again.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 10:16PM

Sometimes you don't know what info you are looking for until someone points it out.

Personally, I would rather rehash old topics than let the discussion lay dormant. You never know what new perspective or insight might come from a discussion with a different group of individuals involved.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 08:06AM

Building for a specific line might be more productive?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 04, 2021 08:16AM

When I build my spiral wrapped rods I have to align guides based on the reel's level wind line guide height off the blank. Changing reels can throw off line flow under load slightly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster