I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat issue can it be fixed
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 10:32AM

I got a ecs seat I installed 12-16 hrs ago. There must have been more play than I thought cause now I discovered the blank by the lock nut is not centered through the seat. It’s off by about 1/16. Is there anything I can do at this point to fix without destroying my grip and starting over? I built an epoxy ramp and it didn’t help to balance it out. The rod is for me so function will be fine but it bothers me.

I had no plan on adding any type of foregrip but that maybe my only choice.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat issue can it be fixed
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 10:54AM

Jason,
I assume that you are in the middle of the build so that you have your grip and reel seat on but no guides?

If so, just take a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off tool and cut nearly down through the reel seat on each side of the rod. DO NOT CUT into the rod blank itself with the cut off wheel. Then, put a screw driver into the slot and give it a twist on each side of the rod. The reel seat will split and come off the rod. Use a bit of heat on the epoxy left on the rod and scrape off the heated epoxy with a razor blade held perpendicular to the blank and start over. The the end of your epoxy ramp, put on about 5 layers of masking tape to protect the blank and finish from the scrape of the razor blade and you will be good to go.

Just chalk up the time and expense as education and move on.

------------------
p.s.
Over the years, I have tried a couple of times to do an adjustment on a mislocated item on a rod. I was never successful, so I no longer try, If I happen to make a mistake. Rather, I just remove the defect. Throw it away, and install a new part or piece and move on.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 02:17PM

Jayson
What Roger said.
But - before reaming new arbor cut it into 4 equal parts and ream each separately.
Take great care to ream holes concentricly so arbor will be voncentric to blank.
If sest does not fit snuggly on the arbor.
Bush the arbor with thread until snug.
Then epoxy seat to arbor.
BTW - hope you are epoxying arbor to blank firsr.
Wait for epoxy wto cure. Then epoxy seat to arbor.
Herb

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 03:41PM

Herb, the ECS is an exposed blank casting seat. where the back end gets reamed to fit the blank. Right or wrong, I usually ream and fit the seat first (a good option is to glue it up and let the epoxy set before installing the arbor). Then I ream and install the arbor. You can get a little bit of movement in the barrel once the seat is installed, if the arbor is installed last you can tweak the reaming of the arbor to shift things back into alignment if needed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 05:04PM

Just my opinion, but I would not risk the blank with the removal of the seat just to fix a 1/16 of an inch eccentricity. It is not risk free and the eccentricity will not affect the function of the rod.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 05:49PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, the ECS is an exposed blank casting seat.
> where the back end gets reamed to fit the blank.
> Right or wrong, I usually ream and fit the seat
> first (a good option is to glue it up and let the
> epoxy set before installing the arbor). Then I
> ream and install the arbor. You can get a little
> bit of movement in the barrel once the seat is
> installed, if the arbor is installed last you can
> tweak the reaming of the arbor to shift things
> back into alignment if needed.

Joe,
Thanks for that.
Being predominantly a fly rod builder, I was not familiar with that seat.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Herb

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 06:58PM

Jason, i do not like to ream these seats for this very reason, they lose their center..i have a collection of these seats and select one that comes closest to where i want it on the rod..i don,t mind cutting an inch or so off blank to get the butt length i want, most times it,s less than an inch..

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 08:42PM

Thanks guys I’m just going to leave it as is. Going further I’ll just remember to verify fitment before I get to far ahead even if it means adding a masking tape arbor of 2 wraps. Worst case I can hide it more with a small fire grip of Eva. But as I said before in the end it’s for me and I’ll be the only one to notice

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 08:51PM

The ECS seats are exposed blank reel seats that are sized fit the blank, but this sizing is only in the back half of the real seat. The threaded front end of of seat is not sized to fit the blank but rather has the standard ID of 15mm found with most 16 mm reel seats. I use a seat that snugly fits the blank where I want it. I will use one that is slightly too small and ream it to fit the blank. Once I have the right sized reel seat, I glue a polyurethane foam arbor In the front part of the seat. When the glue has cured I will ream the foam arbor to fit the blank and then glue the reel seat to the blank. Doing it this way you don’t have to worry about splitting the foam arbor while trying to ream it to size. Works great and you never get the reel seat off center. What happened in your case is that you didn’t arbor the front half of the reel seat and front part settled during the curing and thus it became non-concentric to the blank. Since only rear part of the reel seat is glued to the blank you might be able to break the glue bond by heating the reel seat. If this doesn’t work then carefully cut off the seat and use a new one with an arbor glued in place.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster