I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's the difference?
Posted by: William Bauer (---.mdrsor.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 02, 2021 08:25PM

What is the difference between a spinning blank and a casting blank? What would happen if I built a casting rod on a spinning blank? Would I be able to tell that difference?
I'm looking to build a couple of walleye trolling rods on a 8 to 15lbs. spinning blank.

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the difference?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 08:47PM

A blank is a blank. Manufacturers put them in categories based on what they think most people will do with the blank, but if the blank has the right action and power for the application you are using it for, then build it to suit whichever type of reel you wish to use. I have a number of casting rods built on spin jig and bass spinning blanks that suit my fishing style well and are the reason I started building rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2021 09:07PM

Exactly. Catalog listings are really aimed at the novice. Once you have a few rods under your belt and can better determine the right blank for your purpose simply by going with the pertinent specs, you can dispense with the "casting" and "spinning designations.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 10:36PM

Blanks are categorized mostly by application (type of fishing), to help the builder or customer choose a blank to match their needs. but, as Joe said "a blank is a blank".

The only thing the blank knows is that it is round has a specific length and weight, has a taper, has a stiffness as determined by the wall thickness and material composition.

It is the craftsman who utilizes these properties and transforms the blank into a fine fishing instrument.

The number of blanks offered is overwhelming, the best place for information is from tribal knowledge from other rod builders (crafter forums).

Also,as Tom said "Once you have a few rods under your belt and can better determine the right blank for your purpose simply by going with the pertinent specs, you can dispense with the "casting" and "spinning designations."

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2021 11:49PM

All the above is true, but............................there are differences! A fly rod blank is not appropriate for heavy trolling and a casting blank will not deliver a dry fly appropriately.

All of us push the specifications, but tapers, lengths and weights are developed for applications.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 12:41AM

William,
I concur with the previous statements from the veterans = a blank is a blank. How one chooses to utilize a particular blank for a particular application is what rod building is all about! There really is no wrong or right. While I may prefer a using a fly blank to produce a spinning rod, others will say it is too “sloppy”; so what, I like it! Those same may prefer a very quick tip while I do not. So what, they like it! It all boils-down to personal preference of the end user; our task as rod builders is simply to afford such, right or wrong.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 03:42AM

I agree with Phil. There are differences. And even if blank manufacturers adopt a universal rating system for at the very least, the power of a blank, there will still be differences. And IMO is exactly as Phil said ..... different applications call for different blank characteristics.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2021 07:57AM

I think the OP was asking more along the lines of blanks that have similar specs but one listed as a casting model and one listed as a spinning model. I doubt anyone is going to take a 4-weight fly rod blank and attempt to use it as a 50lb class trolling blank.

And for the record, in many instances, the exact same blank will be labeled differently (casting and spinning) in the manufacturers catalog. I can remember the old G.Loomis catalogs often had the same blank listed under each of the casting, spinning, popping and walleye catagories.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 03, 2021 09:06AM

The name is the difference, but changing the name will not influence the blank's performance. You can make a rod blank designed to cast 3/8 ounce spinning/casting lures into a fly rod but it won't make much of a fly rod, particularly if you have to back cast - which fly casters have to do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 10:48AM

A blank is a blank is a blank.

As far as the blank is concerned it makes 0 difference to the blank with respect to what type and size reel seat and reel that may be placed on the rod blank.

However, going from a very very very light action blank that may be very short or very long or some where in the middle and compare it to a rod that is used to land 700 lb tuna - there are huge differences in the blank.

So, no, the blank does not care as to what reel is mounted on it that tends to define the rod as to whether it is a fly rod, a spinning rod, or a casting rod. But, absolutely, the FISHER PERSON absolutely cares about what sort of blank, and what sort of length blank you are using for a particular species of fish that is being targeted.

-----------------------------------------------------
Over the years, there have been different blank manufacturers that sell rods that they label as spinning rods and blanks with a different part number that they sell as casting rods.

For some companies, these blanks that are being sold as either a casting rod or a spinning rod are actually identical blanks.

But, there are also some companies that do have blanks being sold as spinning rods and blanks being sold as casting rods that have different model numbers - but very similar ratings, that in fact are considerably different. i.e. for the companies that I am thinking about, the spinning blanks were always lighter in action and typically less powerful than the casting blank that actually had very similar ratings.

Since I preferred to use the blanks of this particular company, and I would often want a less powerful blank with a softer action - but with a casting reel on it; I would often take a "spinning blank" but build it up as a casting rod to have the right tool for the job that was being done.

For example, there have been huge numbers of fly rod blanks being built with a spinning rod grip reel seat and guide set for a particular need. Also, huge numbers of fly rod blanks have been built up using casting rod grips, reel seats and guide sets to execute a persons unique wishes. The rods all catch fish very well.

So, use the blank that you need to execute the job that you want to do. Then, put on the grip, reel seat, and guide set on that blank to complete the rod for the way that you want to use the rod.

Best wishes.

Posted by: William Bauer (---.mdrsor.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 01:41PM

I didn't see how a blank could be made specifically as a spinning or casting blank, but you never know. I suppose its the reel seat that determines the type of rod. My small stock of blanks just got more versatile as to what I can build. Thank you

Bill

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 05:37PM

Some blanks advertised as either spinning rod blanks or as casting rod blanks have been given different model numbers but are in truth identical blanks. I built out two 12' blanks for my own use as bait rods for the surf - one marketed as a "casting rod blank" and the other as a "spinning rod blank", and each had different serial numbers. There was no appreciable difference in how or how much these two blanks flexed. I am happy with how both completed rods perform, but I have resisted the urge to build a third type of rod [a fly rod] on this blank.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 05:50AM

I see no one answered your original question.. What would happen..

Either you end up with a rod that preforms exactly as you anticipated, or your first cast will rip space and time apart, creating a massive black hole.. Lol

A blank is just a piece lf material trying to stay straight.. I agree with the whole a blank is a blank thing, and i agree with not using a fly rod blank to catch kathulu.. Personally i think at that point though your stretching your own logic, fish with the appropriate gear..

G loomis said it best.. I can build you an indestructible rod... But your not going to like it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster