I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Roller Stands
Posted by: Travis Stephens (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 02:53PM

Hello everyone. New to the forum and seeing a lot of information I wish I knew about years ago. Glad to be here. I’ve used the search function and didn’t really find anything on the topic. If this has already been a thread and I haven’t found it yet, please forgive me. I’m new to rod building, started in April with a DIY @#$%& special that has since broken.

Can I see your DIY rod roller stands? I like the idea of fabrication over buying, and am looking g for ideas, or even a parts list if you’ll share.

Thank you for looking, hope all is well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Roller Stands
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 05:42PM

Travis,
Welcome aboard and to rod building. I hope you can afford the addition (in more ways than monetarily).
Although I fabricate a lot of things, I have not found the need for a rod stand, let alone have the space, so I cannot offer any direct assistance. However, Roger Wilson, a long-time veteran of the site and known for his fabrication skills, has probably built many, one of which can be found in the link below; it is simple, effective, would be quite easy to build and should not cost much; put some casters on it and you are good to go.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2021 05:58PM

LOL Mark. I don't think that is what he is after. When I did a search on the photo page your name came up the most for what I do think he is after. That being rod supports to be used with his rod wrapper. Seems you are the solution and didn't even know it:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 07:08PM

Travis,

Here are a few that I have made over the years:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
These were made from aluminum bar stock, plastic cutting board stock, and shower door rollers with hard ware store O rings:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
This rod stand was made with heavier aluminum stock, plastic cutting board for the base, and skate board ball bearings with Neoprene rings over the outside of the ball bearings.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
This is a better view of the same rod rest that I have used to build many many rods with excellent success.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
I made these from aluminum bar stock, 1/4 inch rod for the vertical supports, skate board roller bearings for the rod rests. These rests were used when I built rods with the cork glued onto the rod blank and each other at the same time. Then, the entire rod was spun to shape the grips on the spinning rods. This type design was a rock solid lock on the rod blank and worked well even when I was turning the rod blank at 3600 rpm. Any place that I had used one of these supports - I would put a double wrap of masking tape to protect the rod blank finish as the rod was spinning at high speed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
This was a 4-rod rod dryer that I built using 1/4 inch steel for the base for its weight. The rollers were plastic rollers from a surplus store that had originally been part of miniature block and tackles. The O ring were rings from the surplus store. Although two rollers are all right for a dryer, one really needs to have 3 rollers to contain a rod in place as it is wrapped.

Just generate a list of what you want in a rod support with respect to height, adjustability, and convenience and build accordingly.

One reason that I like to use a cantilever design is that one can work directly under the rod rest without the rod rest being in your way when wrapping guides or doing thread work.

Good luck

Posted by: Travis Stephens (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 08:27PM

Thank you all so much. I apologize for the confusion, I meant rolling stand in reference to a wrapper.

Mr Roger Wilson, I’ve been emailing back and forth with you about a power wrapper, I was unaware that you fabricated stands as well. Is there anything you can’t make? Haha. All of those look amazing. The stands in the first picture you posted a link to is what I’d like to make. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2021 08:51PM

Roger very nice work on the rod supports and wrapper. Your craftsman ship is very impressive. That Blue motor that drives your wrapper is huge, either it was swiped from a Tesla or the worlds largest Singer Machine, LOL Anyways very creative and executed job. Did you source out or create the large red and blue wheels on the stands.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 12:50AM

Travis, sorry to misunderstand your initial question and thanks to Russell for pointing it out. Don’t get old; see what happens!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 03, 2021 11:03AM

John,
Actually the large red and blue wheels that are on the stands were found in a surplus store. When found, the wheels were part of small block and tackles that were being sold for about 25 cents each. So, I picked up a bunch of them and then, drilled out the rivets and salvaged the wheels. In a jar next to the block and tackles were a couple hundred O rings that just happened to be the right size for the wheels that were 5 cents each.

I found the blue motor many years ago. I was in the process of building a clay pot throwing machine for my wife. I found this 1/2 hp motor that had in integrated speed control that was perfect for the job. Then, I had located the perfect rotary table for the machine along with the appropriate bearings. Then, conditions and wishes from my wife changed, so I never completed the build. So now, I just use the motor for a portable temporary use of variable speed rotary power for any use in the shop.

This was the sort of pottery wheel that I had in mind for the motor:
[www.clay-king.com]

One never knows when one might find something that works to execute a job.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 01:27PM

Easy set up if you have the parts:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 03, 2021 06:52PM

Ladd,
Well said and it of course is true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster