I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to Get Started Turning Grips
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 11:50AM

Ok so i have not jumped head first yet, but have done some research leading up and wanted to get some opinions or guidance from those with actual experience. I am planning to do some smaller grips for casting and spinning rods with cork and eva. What i was planning to use is something basic, with a corded drill as the power source (one have should be sufficient with 2500rpm). I have looked at some on YouTube but wanted to see anyone knew of a good plan to follow for building a basic set up to turn grips. Really just wanted some pointers on where to look and what to use in the drill whether people prefer mandrel or threaded... like i said trying to keep things basic on how to start... any help is appreciated, apologize if i missed something in the library etc...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Get Started Turning Grips
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 12:01PM

Hello Jay.

Go to the "Photos" page(at the top) then to search and type in "Drill lathe".

You will get a lot of photos.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 12:30PM

I use an old Hirsch drill lathe that was passed on to me by another local builder. I power it with a Skil corded drill. It's a pretty simple set up with a support with a dead center at one end and a support that holds the drill with a pipe clamp at the other and a steady rest that will slide along the pipes holding it all together. A drop of oil on the dead center and only being clamped down under hand tension keeps the center and mandrel from overheating. I've been using it for a number of years, and don't really see a need for anything more for my needs.

I know you would be hard pressed to find the old Hirsch model for sale now, but Grizzly makes one that similar:

[www.grizzly.com]

I don't use anything too special tool-wise for the lathe. For turning EVA, I have a set of cheap wood chisels that I'll use to bring blocks to round and down to about 1/4" from the largest OD that I need. From there the process is the same for me whether using cork rings or EVA. A sanding block to come close to final diameters and then strips of sand paper for final shaping. Pieces of fabric-backed sanding belt work great, but ordinary paper will do, but has a tendency to tear as it heats up. For more aggressive initial shaping and to clean up glue, a Stanley Sureform rasp is handy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 02, 2021 12:36PM

Jay,
I found this picture on the "net" some years ago.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you have a corded variable speed, forward and reverse direction - you would build this for less than $5.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 04:22PM

Jay,
You didn’t mention a price point you’re interested in when you used the term basic. For under $100 the Grizzly is a great setup for turning grips. Best to try to learn whether the chuck on your particular drill will pass through the headstock. Though I moved on to turning wood rod parts on a 20” table lathe, and now turn grips on that, I still use the Grizzly setup if I need to reduce the diameter of an installed grip.

Jeff

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 02, 2021 04:42PM

Jay, if you have a drill press you can easily cobble up a stable, safe, setup for turning cork and softer materials. If you want details email me.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 07:34PM

Hows the grizzly? Is it a good option, didnt realize they had an option for a drill mounted option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 07:37PM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: January 02, 2021 07:54PM

As pictured in the Grizzly link above.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.91.---)
Date: January 02, 2021 09:31PM

I recently got a Hirsh rig on an @#$%& forum for just this purpose but haven’t used it yet. I wish I’d known of the Grizzly option, it looks better.

Guy Taylor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 09:34PM by Guy Taylor.

Date: January 02, 2021 09:49PM

Jay, early on when I decided to make my own grips, the Grizzly lathe with a quarter inch mandrel was the best option. It performed well, and safely for me. However, with any mechanical tool the user must use extreme caution while operating the tool. Injury can happen. So do some research about the Grizzly hobby lathe and if you go that route, proceed with caution.

Date: January 03, 2021 02:41AM

Seeing as how I am a newbie to turning, besides sandpaper is there any particular tool recommendation for shaping cork and foam grips?

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: January 03, 2021 09:37AM

Hey guys,

One tool I’d recommend is a Stanley Surform. Under $10. Use it to take grips down close to size then finish with 60-120-220-400 sand paper.

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 03, 2021 11:13AM

Ditto the Stanley Surform !

Rog

Date: January 03, 2021 02:32PM

Thank you!

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2021 10:22AM

Jay, check out our video on our cork lathe set-up. Over 1 million views.

[www.youtube.com]

Its a great place to start and stay a while. It is mobile and breaks down to store away.

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---)
Date: January 10, 2021 01:39PM

I know you’re just getting started, but when you consider the price of the drill and grizzly lathe, you’ll be about half way to the price of a Jet mini or midi lathe when one of the big woodworking suppliers has a sale. I bet that when you get better and want to start using alternative materials like wood, birch bark, and acrylic, you’ll realize the limitations of these ultra basic drill-based lathe setups, and you’ll have wished you’ll wish you had made the initial investment in the first place. I know I sure did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster