I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Proper Weight of Fly Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2020 07:31PM

Use the entire length of the blank. The forward support when doing the measurement should be positioned at the location that is equal to 10% of the blank's overall length.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2020 08:57AM

Just re-read the 4th post on page one, do it, and report the weight it took.

Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: December 30, 2020 10:46AM

After re-measuring the rod and coming up with the correct deflection amount, I determined the rod has an ERN of just over 12.

Date: December 30, 2020 11:20AM

In that case, and particularly if you plan to fish short distances (which I assume you would given the rod's length), you'd need something along the lines of a 14 weight to 15 fly line to load it, if you can even find such a thing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 30, 2020 12:22PM

Judging from the foregoing conversation a six-foot monofilament leader with a couple #2 split shot clamped above the fly would be the most effective way to convert this spin rod into a "fly rod".

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 30, 2020 04:58PM

Wade,
While I will not argue with the purists who nay-say a combo rod, there are those such as Ben, Sam and myself who have had good luck with them. I have found a Tennessee handle to be very effective in a number of ways and relatively easy to construct. I AM EXTREMELY CURIOUS AS TO THE FIBERGLASS FERRULES YOU MADE; PLEASE TELL ME MORE!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2020 06:27PM

A combo rod is a combo rod. Why would anyone expect that a rod that can do both jobs somewhat well would do either as well as one designed to do only one? Come on, folks, get real.

Date: December 30, 2020 08:04PM

RodMaker has done two articles on Spin/Fly rods and they function very well in both/either capacity.

Date: December 31, 2020 12:16AM

Michael, you are point-on in your assessment, “A combo rod is a combo rod. Why would anyone expect that a rod that can do both jobs somewhat well would do either as well as one designed to do only one?” This is undeniably true! Yet we all assume compromises in rod building and if one is willing to accept the compromise, the versatility of a combo rod can certainly be very rewarding, especially for pack-in alpine lake fishing.
Wade, I am still curious of how you fabricated your FG ferrules; pray tell!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 31, 2020 11:44AM

Well, the ferrules were probably the funnest part of the build so far. I bought a fiberglass blank about the same size as my two piece blank. Then I measured and cut 6 inch pieces of the fiberglass blank in a spot on the rod that had about the same amount of taper. Slowly worked them down until the ferrules overlapped each piece of the main blank about 2 inches and glued them together with Rod Bond. Then I sanded the joint as flat as I could get. Wrapped with thread, dyed my epoxy black and put on three different coats. In between each coat I sanded the transition and feathered the edges like you would do a car.

Once all of that was done, I painted the entire blank with automotive single stage rootbeer metallic. You cannot see a single joint or wave, each piece of the rod simply gets bigger at the end.

Date: December 31, 2020 11:47AM

like them or dont like them, I enjoy the challenges of making combo rods. I like the engineering of the handles and seeing everything come together. Fish will bite on anything, so if you are on a horse or backpacking in the woods, a travel sized combo rod might be right up your alley.

Besides, I dont know many people who get paid to fish. Just calm down and fish. Dont be so uptight.

Date: December 31, 2020 03:51PM

Wade,
Thank you for describing your FG ferrules. The reason for my interest is that I developed a method of fabricating tubular ferrules (both outer sleeve and inner spigot) using woven FG cloth sleeves. The blank itself is utilized as the “mold” which produces inherently identical tapered ferrules. If you are interested, search “Self Fabricated FG Ferrules” around 02/2017. I call them CARL (Constant Arc Rod Link). If interested further, contact me as I have change the process slightly over the past 3 years. I am in the final stages of producing and article for RodMaker magazine, if Tom sees fit to publish it.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 01, 2021 01:06PM

A person who uses the right tool for the right job should not be dismissed as a "purist". A short spinning rod blank with fly rod guides, a fly reel, and a baited hook makes a fine trout rod on a small, overgrown creek.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 04, 2021 03:29PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wade,
> Thank you for describing your FG ferrules. The
> reason for my interest is that I developed a
> method of fabricating tubular ferrules (both outer
> sleeve and inner spigot) using woven FG cloth
> sleeves. The blank itself is utilized as the
> “mold” which produces inherently identical
> tapered ferrules. If you are interested, search
> “Self Fabricated FG Ferrules” around 02/2017.
> I call them CARL (Constant Arc Rod Link). If
> interested further, contact me as I have change
> the process slightly over the past 3 years. I am
> in the final stages of producing and article for
> RodMaker magazine, if Tom sees fit to publish it.

Mark, you do know Tom,s magazine only has 40 pages..only joking Mark..lol.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 05, 2021 10:59AM

Hello All.

Here is the volume/Issue and page of the two articles Tom was talking about.

V/I NAME Page.
21/2 Spin/Fly Combination Travel Rod By Tom Kirkman. 16
12/3 Spin/Fly Combination Travel Rod. 10

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster