I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help please....fiberglass fly blank/rod
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2020 08:04PM

I always end up turning to you all when I am tired and confused. I have never built on fiberglass and planned on my first build being a spinning rod but now have changed thinking and want to do a small river fly rod. I have read about Epic, Echo, CTS and NFC. I don't think Echo sells blanks but they seem like a good rod. I am pretty set on building my own since that is a lot of the enjoyment and pride in owning any rod at this point in my life. The blanks seem fairly expensive other than NFC. Right now they have a flash sale...about 50% off but then charge a surcharge and flat rate shipping of $30. The cost of the blank comes to around $120. That is for a 7' 6" 4 wt. Might even go to 3 wt. So...with the knowledge and experience you all might have with these blanks and companies, I welcome any suggestions and opinions. Is it worth it to pay $230 for a CTS or Epic blank or is the NFC equally as good or better. I have built two spin rods on NFC graphite and they are nice rods. I have no experience with fiberglass at all. Please help.Thanks much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 09:41AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: please help me....fiberglass fly blank/rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2020 08:13PM

The NFC Iconoglass are very nice blanks. I built and fished a 4wt in Idaho/Montana for 10 days this fall and absolutely love it! It is faster than many fiberglass rods I have fished before, yet has the fun characteristics of glass when fighting a fish. A couple of guides tried it commented very favorable about it.

Re: please help me....fiberglass fly blank/rod
Date: December 27, 2020 09:00PM

thanks Phil! That's the NFC I am looking at.

Re: help please....fiberglass fly blank/rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 28, 2020 10:52AM

Todd,
Your email is hidden.
Either "un-hide" it or email me hladen@hotmail.com
U.S. CTS Rep

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 28, 2020 07:05PM

Fiber glass will feel much softer and slower in action than graphite. While there is nothing bad about that, it will not fish comparably to graphite. For a 3 or 4 weight for smaller streams and smaller fish it would be fine.

Date: December 28, 2020 07:32PM

I've never fished with or built on fiberglass. Mostly what I fish is smaller streams. Fish are usually a pound or smaller. Building on fiberglass is like a new adventure for me. Thanks David

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 29, 2020 08:09PM

I think a glass rod would be just fine in the fishing circumstance you describe. Of course glass can be fished in any situation or line weight, but my personal opinion is that it is particularly suited to use is in smaller waters where rod weight or the need for bombing long casts is not a factor. But a nice double taper line on the rod and you may really like it.

Date: January 01, 2021 04:11PM

Thanks for the responses and your opinions!! it's very nice to have access to some of the greatest minds on the planet associated with roadbuilding. I'm not a guy that blows smoke up peoples back sides...I truly mean that. I am very proud of the things I have learned and to be able to put a fishing rod together. Thanks to all and have a great 2021! I look forward to a "normal" year.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 03, 2021 11:40AM

Todd, That federal tax is on all guns and ammo, archery equipment, fishing tackle and rods, and boat fuel among I bet other things, you just see it up front at NFC. The conservation tax is used by both federal and state governments in their conservation efforts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 11:47AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: January 05, 2021 04:13PM

Thanks Spencer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster