I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: War of the Worlds; COF vs KR Concept
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 26, 2020 09:38PM

Tom, I will certainly take your word for it that the difference between a NGC and KR rod will be minimal; I have had enough testing and reporting for awhile.
Norman, thank you for replying with your respected veteran knowledge, experience and insight; your comments are always cherished by any and all. I know you prefer CF rods, braid and Minimas for your UL-L builds and who can blame you; so do the vast majority of anglers and builders; it really is about personal preference; to each his own. I certainly agree with your statement “A KR Concept will improve performance no matter the rod or line used”. Apparently, the results of this test of mine has proven to parallel your findings as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2020 11:11PM

The next battle is between the microwave system and the KR concept. If this has already been done, please point me in the right direction to see the results. I am willing to do the testing. Does anyone know the guide trains of each to form a fair comparison?

Date: December 26, 2020 11:42PM

Ed,
Consider consulting Norman Miller prior to spending the time, effort and money.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 27, 2020 12:39AM

Doesn,t Anglers resource suggest using braid to get the most from the KR system..i think braid brings the most from any system you use..i have tinkered with some really odd looking guide set-ups..they all worked quite well with braided line but not so well with the monos, too stiff and thick..

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 27, 2020 06:17AM

lol Mark ..... I have a problem turning the fingers off when a topic really interests me. But I'm working on it. lol

As far as what Tom said about the difference between a good NGC guide train and a KR guide train being absolutely minimal goes .... like you, I will take his word for it as far as casting performance probably goes, but based on the use of the NGC software on the Angler's resource page, it sure doesn't look like an NGC guide train would be anywhere near as light as a KR concept guide train for the same rod and reel would be.

Tom? Would you agree with that?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2020 08:25AM

No I wouldn't. The weight that is important is on the upper 1/2 to 1/3rd of the rod and in either case you'd most likely be using the same guides by that point.

At the end of the day, a given rod can only cast a given weight so far. Once you arrive at a very good, modern guide system, you aren't likely to find a smidgeon's difference between them. I know a few companies that have tested each system, as well as can be done in any such test involving human interaction, and the difference between guide systems on the same rod casting the same weight all fall within 1%.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 27, 2020 10:22AM

Lines of different diameters, different flexibility, different finishes, and lines used in different temperatures will perform differently using the same guide train. Every difference makes a difference. Mark's experiment does a fine job nailing down the facts in a specific situation, but line diameters and temperatures vary widely and it's unlikely "one size fits all".

Date: December 27, 2020 10:29AM

The super lines come close Phil..lol.

Date: December 27, 2020 11:33AM

Ben: Today advertising weasels into just about every human product, and advertising shuns science and proof like a duck's back sheds water. How else could parity products be sold at profit margins which vary by 100% or more? When was the last time you saw an unbiased (double-blind) test comparing two products? Don't hold your breath waiting for a scientific, double blind performance comparison of super braids or guide trains.

Date: December 27, 2020 11:42AM

Phil, i don,t wait for anybody to do anything..i do my own comparisons in my own way..lol.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2020 03:59PM

Mark, thanks for the good work and taking the time to do it. It's always worth doing these things to convince yourself.

Keeping track of where the choker or first of the low profile guides gives the following:

NGC 27x (Reel Quantum Catalyst 10 PTIa) with a spool diameter of 1.477" puts the choker effectively at 39 7/8" (39.879").

KR places the choker at 38" and typically calls for 3 guides in the reduction train, though I tend to use a match frame 16mm and match frame 8mm when I set up this style of guide train.

MW places the first small guide at 39 7/8".

All three systems involve taking the line to the blank in a straight line and then another straight line to the tip. All three systems do a great job of reducing weight added near the tip of the rod compared to COF.

Any weight difference between KR and NGC is going to come in the reduction train. With NGC 27x, for reels this size, I tend to use only 2 guides in the reduction train Y-frame 20 mm (or match frame 16 mm) and Y-frame 10 mm (or match frame 8 mm). KR tends to call for 3 guides in the reduction train, which can swing either system ahead in weight savings based on number of guides, frame style, and insert material.

With longer rods, KR will push the choker out a few inches, so what all this tells me is that if you put that choker in the range of 38"-42", you are likely in pretty good shape for a spinning rod up to 7'-7'6" and reel sizes up to 4000. NGC paved the way, and Tom's 27x spacing got the ball rolling for ease of use. The success of MW and KR guide trains show that range for the choker is very effective for a variety of builds.

Date: December 27, 2020 04:15PM

Ben, you are correct; the KR Concept was designed around the use of braid, especially for the higher pound test lines. However, many concur 2lb or 4lb mono/fluoro is so thin and consequently/inherently/relatively limp to make a minimal if any difference; 10lb is a different story. The pristine, high elevation lakes and streams of the Eastern Sierra are so clear it is not uncommon to see the bottom 60ft down! I need as much stealth as possible hence my using fluoro coated mono; yes, I could use braid with a 10ft fluoro leader but I just do not bother; mono/fluoro has served me well for almost 50 years. I certainly do not doubt braid may produce a better “feeling”, more sensitive rod but I have already admitted to possibly being a bit more numb than other anglers. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Inversely, I always use braid for saltwater, even light in-shore fishing but find it can become annoying having to tie on new leader rather than simply retying a hook or lure to the main line.
As stated in my original post, my objective was to discover the casting difference between COF and KR by eliminating as many variables while including as many constants to produce the fairest test possible; I am comfortable I accomplished that using the 4lb P-Line Floroclear; it was a constant of the equation, not a variable. Although lines of different construction, diameter, flexibility, finishes, taste, smell, sound used at different temperatures may perform differently, that is for someone else on which to test and report; I am curious.

Mark Talmo

Date: December 27, 2020 04:20PM

Joe, Thank you for your input as well; informative and interesting.

Mark Talmo

Date: December 27, 2020 06:17PM

Hi Mark..from what i have read mixed in with my experience, fish can see all lines at any water color especially clear water..thus i have quit tying leaders to braid..i go straight braid..i,m fishing for bass or panfish not trout..bass are not too line shy and i.m using 10# or less..i will on occasion change the spool and go down to 4# or even !# and see a difference in the catch but i don,t often have to..i quit playing with leaders too..lol. i would not be surprised if you used some of Hitena,s 1# braid the trout wouldn,t fear it..just a thought..you would gain more sensetivity, a lot more since your using glass rods which i do too..just a thought..i love the 1# line mostly for crappies and gills on an ultralight..

Date: December 27, 2020 09:11PM

Ben, Your last post was an enjoyable read (certainly not to say your others are not). Funny thing is I have tied a hook and bait directly to 50lb braid while calico fishing and caught fish; maybe not quite as many as with leader, but caught fish none the less. So maybe bass, weather fresh or saltwater, are totally line-numb. My fishing buddies always tease me of only catching the blind fish. That being said, my experience with trout, especially wild trout, is they freak-out from flatulence 500ft away; that may be a stretch but trout are notoriously skittish and leery. In the waters I frequent in the Eastern Sierra, simply dropping from 4lb to 2lb test line can, and have, made a huge difference in fish counts. To be honest, I have never fished with someone up there who was using braid so maybe my admittedly biased opinion has blinded me; I will keep it in mind when going back up there next season. None the less, let the books reflect I am a doubting-Thomas.

Mark Talmo

Date: December 27, 2020 10:32PM

It was just a thought Mark..lol. i have read stories about mountain or head water.trout having less food available and were agressive and eager feeders..i don,t know..your trout don,t sound too eager..lol..maybe they have enough insects to be picky eaters..

Date: December 28, 2020 12:12PM

The observed superior casting distance by one brand of guides must have a physical cause. The suspects I can imagine are the guide placement distances, or the size of the guides, or the coefficient of friction of the guide rings. The physical difference(s) between these two guide trains would be more informative than their different brand names.

Date: December 28, 2020 03:07PM

Phil,
Thanks for your reply. As stated in the original post, both sets of guides were Fuji, not different “brands”; KR = KL-H reduction followed by KB and KT runners with a LG tiptop; COF = all LVs with a LG tip top. The “guide placement distances” are immaterial as such would be different on every blank to which they were mounted; both guide trains employed the 2-line static load test for guide placement. The sizes of the guides were given in the original post. As for “coefficient of friction of the guide rings”; are you serious? What do you expect from me? As stated in the original post, both guide trains sported Alconite rings to eliminate that variable = both exhibited an identical X amount coefficient of friction which is all that matters. None the less, I am certain ALL of us would be interested to learn your findings of the coefficient of friction of different guides. Allow me to apologize for assuming all viewers of this topic were familiar with the “brand names” KR Concept and COF; but then, those unfamiliar with the two would have probably been uninterested in the test, let alone the results. At the risk of sounding rude, I think you totally missed the point of this test.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2020 03:58PM

The hardness or "slickness" of the guide rings would have no measurable effect on casting distance. Friction requires more than just two surfaces in contact - it also involves the amount of pressure forcing the two surfaces against each other. Casting does not product the type of force that would bring this into practical play.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2020 05:03PM

Inertia is the difference between the guide trains. By reducing inertia, the blank is able to react and recover more quickly and transfer energy more efficiently to the load being cast.

It's the same reason that single foot guides have become favorable over double foot guides in most freshwater and a lot of light saltwater applications, the same reason that rods with micro guides cast as far or further than rods with conventionally sized guides.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster