I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What would you guys do? - “Fenwick Blank”
Posted by: Jarrett Poisson (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2020 05:42PM

Hello all. I have two Fenwick blanks that have the actual word “Blank” on them. They are models FL-102-6F and FL-96-7F. I am looking to custom wrap these and sell them if possible. Question is, should I leave the word “Blank” on them for authenticity or value? Or can I clean it off and not worry? Also they came with handles and reel seats that I don’t think are very unique. I’d also like to hack those off and add my own. But again like that take away sale value? Anyone with info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What would you guys do? - “Fenwick Blank”
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2020 06:19PM

photos of what you have? What does "unique" mean? If the seats/handles are vintage Fenwick, . . .are they not in today's world unique? Maybe vintage Fenwick means unique. ? If something is being sold as being really functional in today's world, then it has to perform. If it's being sold as being "vintage," "collectible," etc, then you don't want to eliminate the signals of authenticity for "vintage," "collectible,", etc.

I don't think that old Fenwick blanks have value for those looking for current state performance, but their value is most likely tied to "vintage," memories, emotion. And I would be very careful in eliminating any signals of those.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2020 10:14PM

I think their value is in the state their in now.Leave them be and let the buyer build to suet themselves.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 22, 2020 11:33PM

Jarrett,
While certainly not an expert on the subject, I would agree with Michael and Dennis; leave the original decals in place and build the rod around it, if for nothing else, authenticity sake. Some vintage Fenwick rods/blanks draw quite a reasonable price if that is what you are after; only research will tell.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2020 08:21AM

I'd go and join the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum if you don't already belong to that forum. There are a gang of folks on there that will have much more information about your blanks. My knowledge on the Fenwick stuff is limited, but I do know that the factory equivalent to the FL 102 6F was the FF 856 and the FL 96 7F should be the FF 807 if they are Brown blanks. There are Yellow Fenwicks to, but again my knowledge base is limited.

Opinions are going to vary on leaving the "blank" lettering. My opinion would be to leave it alone. Fenwicks, either blanks or factory rods do not have a lot of value in general, yes there is a "following" to them, but there are so many of them out there still in service, especially those two models you have. The reel seats and grips that are on them, that question is a tough one to offer an opinion on, are they ones that would have came with a factory build or are they something that the previous owner installed and have no bearing to to factory equivalents?

Something to think about if you build them out and what they might be worth: What condition are the blanks in, scratches, dull spots on the paint? Lots of older blanks sometimes have "bag rash" from being stored over the years. Now this is not meant to be a knock against you, but what is your ability as a builder if you are going to try and sell them? If you do top shelf thread and finish work, I'd try to build them out to look like a Factory build or as close as possible, they might bring a better price done that way and if your skill set is awesome, all the better for you.

On another note, if those are the Brown Fenwicks, both of them are great rods if you are into glass, the FL 102 6F is a good streamer rod for small bass and trout, the FL 96 7F is a good all around bass rod. I'd build them out and go fish them if you like glass.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 23, 2020 09:02AM

If you cut the blank up you will be left with what used to be a Fenwick blank. I doubt there is much of a market for rods built on "what used to be Fenwick blanks."

Date: December 23, 2020 04:51PM

Thanks for all the replies! My goal is to wrap them and sell. I have plenty of rods but took up building last winter as a hobby. I have 4 builds under my belt. Would love to post pics but I can’t see where to do that?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 23, 2020 05:28PM

hit the "Photos" link above, do a specific sign-in for the photo pages (not the same as your sign in for the forum), and upload photos. Copy and paste the "address" (URL?) into your posts on this forum and you'll form a link to your photos. Also, others browsing the photo pages can see them and comment on them.

Date: December 23, 2020 06:43PM

Photos added. Thanks all.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 06:46PM by Jarrett Poisson.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: December 23, 2020 10:43PM

Being a fan of fiberglass fly rods and someone who appreciates vintage tackle I would suggest that instead of building them out you may be better off just selling them as is. Those look like factory grips from the early ‘80s. I would put them up on the fiberglass fly rod site. I may even be interested in that 96-7

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: December 24, 2020 01:08PM

I would not alter those rods,there is a good market for them as they are .

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2020 07:11AM

From the pics you posted they look like someone tried to replicate the Fenwick style handle and seat. Back in the 80's I built more than a few rods on the fenwick blanks, Brown's Fenglass and the Feralite blanks along with the yellow ones, even their gray Fenwick matrix blanks. Also owned more than a couple store bought Fenwicks. They're manufactured rods to the best of my knowledge always had a brown amber reel seat and the fly rod grips were very close to your's pictured but slightly different. In my opinion it looks like someone tried to duplicate them but they got it close . Also factory rods never from what I remember ever said BLANK on them, only the bare blanks came with that sticker. Just my opinion from what I remember 40 yrs ago.

The real seat color is Chestnut

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2020 09:34PM by John Sansevera.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2020 07:27PM

Jarrett, I agree with leaving the blanks as is and selling them...let the new owner choose how to finish them. I love old stuff. Sounds like these blanks are new old stock. personally, I wouldn't be interested in a rod built by someone else on a vintage blank but I'd be really interested in buying vintage blanks so I could build my own rod the way I would want it. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster