I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Immortal Rating Question
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2020 09:09PM

Recently picked up an Immortal to build for my father this offseason and was interested in the Immortal IMMS72ML specifically for throwing 2.8 Keitechs on light wire hooks up to 1/4 ounce at most-rarely that heavyHave no experience with this blank, would the ML be underpowered. Again mostly for small 2.8 swimbaits on light jig heads smaller than a 1/4 ounce in open water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2020 09:21PM by Jay Burns.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Immortal Rating Question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2020 02:17PM

I have a rod built on that blank, and while it is very nice for Neds, I don't think it's the best for what you are proposing. According to my CCS numbers, it probably should have been called a light power, not ML. And Mod fast, not fast. What I use , and really like, is the
REVIP70M-SB
all purpose trout / redfish / inshore / popping corks

7' 8-14 1/4-5/8 0.480 5.5 M-Fast 1.7oz M

What I like about it is that its action works great for snapping the 3.8 Keitechs and similar swimbaits on 3/16 and 1/4 oz jigs off the bottom, accelerating them well without being jerky off the bottom, then recovering as the lure drops to somewhat stay in touch with it, not a loose line kind of drop. Too much power and too fast an action and this won't happen right.

You are asking for smaller lures than I use, so maybe the ML in the REV lineup would be better, but I think the M will do you just fine. If you want to stick with an Immortal, I would go up in power.

If you want the CCS numbers on the Immortal and the REV, let me know.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.20.210.72.pnnl.gov)
Date: December 22, 2020 04:21PM

Out of curiosity on a related note, anyone know how different/similar are the IMMS72ML and IMMWS72ML?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2020 04:47PM

Very good question, Jordan. What I have is the IMMWS72ML.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 22, 2020 06:15PM

Figures already ordered the ML... I was hesitant on the ML but was hoping it leaned closer to Medium. Guess I could make this yet another drop shot/ned. Though i do throw smaller swimbaits than u on lighter weights and dont rip them. I do like that REVIP70

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2020 12:17PM

That is interesting Michael. The way you describe the IMMWS72ML, it almost sounds like a 1 or 2 power popping rod. How does the CCS for that blank compare to the REVIP70M?

I wonder if the IMMS72ML is a faster version of the IMMWS72ML?

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2020 04:03PM

Everybody has their own idea of what the holy grail of rods for a given purpose is and my input to this thread is completely anecdotal compared to Michael's CCS. Even more useless for the OP's freshwater (I think) application. However with that disclaimer out of the way, if I could only have two rods to fish with here in eastern NC, they would be rods build on these two blanks. Both rods are rated to 3/8 oz. but the spinning blank is stiffer and feels heavier in the hand than the walleye blank. The walleye blank is my go to speckled trout blank and to me, the spinner is a drum(redfish) rod. The IMMWS72ML wrapped with Fuji KL-H Titanium Torzite's, I use to throw storm shrimp, No.8 size X-Raps, MR-17's and 1/8 oz jig heads with a variety of soft plastics for the trout and the IMMS72ML wrapped the same way, for reds using larger topwaters, spoons, and square bill cranks in the winter for the drum. To me and again, just my opinion, these rods feel like instruments compared to off the rack rods meant for the same purpose. I hope your dad enjoys the rod that you build as either of these blanks can be the basis for a fine one. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

R/
George Mason

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2020 05:21PM

Thanks guys! I also spoke with Batson directly and they recommend the IMMS72ML for the type of application and weights... Worse case scenario I have a great spinning rod to add to the rod box for my father. Merry Xmas everyone!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 27, 2020 01:08PM

Wasn't long ago there was a blank in the Rainshadow lineup that was listed both as a bass and walleye blank, the only difference was the W (walleye) version was cheaper.

Date: December 28, 2020 11:56AM

I believe that Spencer is correct. I heard the IMMS68MXF and the IMMWS68MXF are the same blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 12:44PM by Jordan Smith.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 31, 2020 10:08PM

Not sure about those particular blanks Jordan. If you look at the dimensions listed on Rainshadow's web site for each blank, they don't match.

The IMMS68MXF lists a butt of .470, and a tip of 4.0. The IMMWS68MXF lists a butt of .457, and a tip of 4.5. They do list them at the same weight though.

Date: January 02, 2021 11:43PM

Yes sir, you are correct regarding the published dimensions. There was another thread, perhaps on a different site, in which a Batson representative said they were the same blank, just branded differently to market to walleye fisherman. I can try to find the thread if you're interested.

Date: January 03, 2021 11:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster