I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

motive
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 18, 2020 12:58PM

Other than speed is there any benefit an individual rod builder realizes from using a power rod wrapper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: motive
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 18, 2020 01:16PM

I only build performance fly rods - hence short wraps.
So, I never used one. BUT - if I did - I think it would eliminate possibility of getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
Herb

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 18, 2020 01:46PM

i,m a hobby builder..i may have built six or seven rods this year but i did several rebuilds mostly trying different guide set ups, and wraps are short like Herb said..if someone gave me a powr wrapper, it would just sit there, besides i,m in no hurry and i don,t/won,t do surf rods..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 18, 2020 02:16PM

Phil,
For myself, it is about the ease of doing the build.
I have both hands free to do any work that I need to do while wrapping since my foot is turning the rod, via the foot pedal.
It is easy to add trim thread, while maintaining tension on the main thread with the wrapper.

I can start a wrap, get a phone call, stop in the middle of a wrap and pick up the wrap after the call with no change in tension, or thread placement.

Of course, if one builds long heavy rods with very long butt wraps, it is nice to be able to do a 5 inch butt wrap in about 4 seconds with the pedal to the metal for these long wraps at high speed.

---------------------
One of the best uses for the power wrapper, however, is the use of the wrapper when applying finish. With the wrapper, I can spin the rod in either direction at any speed from 1 rpm up to a few hundred rpm if needed. I normally apply finish at about 50-60 rpm, but stop on a dime for an all stop to do the tunnels and the back side of the guide foot. Then, back on the pedal to get the rest of the finish on the rod with no runs spills or sags. If I don't have another rod going back on the wrapper, I just slow the wrapper down to about 8 rpm for an overnight drying cycle, without ever having to move the rod from the wrapper.

----------------------
Many years ago, when I was first introduced to rod building I wrapped my very first rod by hand. After the rod was finished, I said to myself --- "I will never wrap another rod by hand" and I never have. I said to myself that since I have an engineering background and I enjoy designing and building things such that a wrapper was in my wheel house. The search was on for the best possible wrapper possible.

Of course, I enjoy designing and building the machines as much as I enjoy building rods.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 18, 2020 04:08PM

I use a base for a power wrapper without a motor, better than my old cobbled hand wrapper. Now and then for long wraps like Roger says it would be nice to have powr. But for most of what I do, It does fine and I don't think I could keep up with a power wrapper for some of the stuff I do.

Good question!

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: December 18, 2020 04:58PM

i have used my power wrapper to shape and cut grips eva and cork

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 18, 2020 08:26PM

Power to the people. I don't make enough rods to warrant a power wrapper, but I sure like the look of the speed. [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 19, 2020 11:21AM

The reason I ask is I find I can pack thread wraps tighter wrapping by hand than I have been able to pack them using a power wrapper. Is this unusual?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 19, 2020 12:43PM

It's usual for me.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2020 01:06PM

If you are going to use a power wrapper, you will need to learn how to use it. Once you do, you will be able to do tight wraps. I can actually wrap tighter with the power wrapper consistently. There is a learning curve and you will almost have to abandon your hand wrapper. A definite advantage to the power wrapper when applying epoxy. The power wrapper needs a station or a designated area but the hand wrapper can be moved to your favorite chair in front of the TV. There is a lot to be said for that mobility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 01:09PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 20, 2020 11:10AM

To answer your question yes there are other benefits realized by using a power wrapper, in addition to speed, the wrapper can produce more uniform wraps and can relieve stress on the users hands and increase production..

A power wrapper is no different than any other power tool, it was designed to lend itself to mass production by making the task faster, easier, efficient and offer an increased level of quality.

The decision own one is strictly an individual choice based on the users needs. A lot of factors may enter in the decision, the cost of the system or the number of rods one expects to build.

To the newbie you don't need a power wrapper to produce a quality rod.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: December 21, 2020 07:34AM

From what I have seen they are awesome and any builder would benefit from owning one. However, I will probably not make more that a few rods per year. Employing a power wrapper would significantly increase the cost per rod for a long time. Yet, I am sure I will end up buying one. I like tools! I just started building a month ago and I am hooked. I am on my 4th build and one rebuild. I just order 2 lamiglas blanks from the Dec. 19th sale, so I have a few more to build.

Fishing is not a sport, it is an art.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2020 04:47PM

Danny, you might be surprised. It used to be if you wanted to do any real turning you had to spend a lot of money. Now you can get something for $500 plus some additional items. However turning makes a mess and some would rather do it in a different place and use something made for the job. Think used wood or mini-metal lathe.

I use my power wrapper when I'm doing larger saltwater rods with under wraps or butt wraps. I wouldn't dream of using it for a fly rod, or even most fresh water rods. You need to count on at least 8 feet of full time dedicated counter space. That hand wrapper can be set up on the coffee table and you can wrap a rod while you watch a football game.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randy Hively (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 21, 2020 08:36PM

I use my power wrapper to wrap 5' ultra lights and 13' spey rods. I rarely use the actual power option. When wrapping, I use it like a hand wrapper. I find the smoothness of the blanks rolling on the bearing supports very comfortable. I have 12' of base and can move the supports to the area of the softer blanks into position to prevent blank flex from interfering with wrapping. I really like being able to move the thread carriage the complete 12' of the base and never have to reposition the rod blank. When I wrap rods longer than 12' I can remove the butt section and wrap the rest of the rod. I use the power of the wrapper to shape grips. The mess created is easily cleaned up with a shop vac. I don't know anyone that has purchased a power wrapper and decided to not use it, sell it and go back to the old hand wrapper. The only time that I use my old wood hand wrapper is when I teach rod wrapping classes for our local TU. When we get close to the end of the class I will take the power wrapper to the class. There has been several students purchase one after seeing the advantages and ease that it provides. My opinion, If you can afford one get it.

Date: December 24, 2020 10:02AM

My rod-wrapper consists of four ball-bearing rollers salvaged from a discarded sliding glass door that closed off a bathtub-shower. The outer rim of these rollers have a groove which kept the doors on the track. A neoprene roller can be stretched to fit snugly in this grove around the roller. Attaching the rollers side-by-side, overlapping, allows the blank to nestle in the "vees" created by the two sets of overlapping wheels. I turn the blank by hand using a fly-tying bobbin to hold and apply the thread. Not mass-production but it makes nice wrappings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster