I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HELP!! need advice on building a rod lathe with a sewing machine motor
Posted by: Bill Rogers (---.nh.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 16, 2020 01:05AM

I am trying to upgrade my rod bench to a more sophisticated grip (cork and EVA) lathe than my current electric drill on a stand set-up. Th drill set-up does not have the control that I am looking for. CRB has a set-up that is too pricey for me. I am good at building things (not a machinist by a long shot) and think I could build something that could work better than what I have now. I do have a couple of good, smooth blank/rod holders that I will continue to use. I have been thinking of purchasing an Alps upgraded chuck and a good sewing machine motor with foot control to make the power end but that is at the top of my budget. Anyone have photos or plans of a good set-up?

My questions are:
1. What is a good power motor? Amps? RPM's? ETC. I will be doing a lot of cork and EVA turning.
2. What components would I need to build something similar to the Alps chuck that would be cheaper (or do I just bite the bullet and purchase the Alps chuck)
3. Are their any good building plans for something like this?

Any and all suggestions and brainstorming would greatly helpful.

Please note I build a lot of surf rods which means long cork grips that need power when shaping.

Thanks,
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP!! need advice on building a rod lathe with a sewing machine motor
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 16, 2020 11:34AM

I am not sure but on long grips you only sand [ shape ] a small section at a time about 2 inch wide at any one time at least I do it that way As I see it, could be wrong ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: December 16, 2020 12:19PM

Thanks for the reply Bill.
In the past with an electric drill lathe I have sanded down long grips but found it difficult to control the speed easily. I have some Flex -Coat rod holding stands that are great for holding the rod steady and true.
I don't think I would have a problem with better control with a sewing machine motor lathe. At this point I want to use a sewing machine motor but was looking to see if anyone has any good working experience or plans on building the lathe/power wrapper with the sewing machine motor and some kind of chuck. I am open to any ideas and materials. As I said before, I am an adequate DYI guy but not a machinist. I wanted to see if others have used the sewing machine motors and other components in their set ups.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 16, 2020 07:20PM

Bill,
A couple of questions.
Are you going to use the setup for lathe and turning work only? i.s. no rod wrapping with this tool?

IF so, you can add a controller to your drill and likely be well pleased with the result - as follows:

[www.amazon.com]

Lock your drill in its full speed setting. Plug the drill into the speed control. Plug the speed control into the AC wall outlet.

Then, just turn the dial to dial in your perfect desired speed.

Good luck

Date: December 16, 2020 11:36PM

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the suggestion on the controller. I'll look into it but maybe with a foot regulator than a hand dial for more control. I will be doing thread wrapping with the set-up. I hope to post photos when finished.

If anyone else has pics of their set-ups I would be interested.

Tight lines,

Bill

Date: December 17, 2020 12:47PM

Bill,
If you are going to be doing thread wrapping of guides with the unit, it is a better idea to have two separate machines.

One machine to do your handle lathe work that require a lot of power and constant speed, and one machine to do your thread work that require a foot pedal with low variable speed and an easy way to reverse the direction of rotation.

Over the years, I have built many different machines to do the jobs.

For doing grip work these days, I use a wood lathe in the "dirty shop" where I only do the lathe work with its ensuing dust, and sanding grit from the work. I also have a variable speed drill motor connected to a heavy duty power supply with a foot pedal to use for "touch up" of a grip when doing repair work on a completed rod in the thread wrapping shop. The variable speed cordless drill motor does an excellent job with respect to having adequate power to do lathe turning work.

A sewing machine motor typically does not have enough power to do grip work.

For the last several years, I have been using small 24 volt dc gear motors that have integrated gear trains at the end of the motor housing to eliminate reducing pulleys and extra shafts and bearings.
Then, I use a 24 volt power supply in conjunction with a dc motor speed controller and a foot pedal that integrates a potentiometer to control the speed controller.

Here is a DC motor with reverse capability, hand and foot pedal speed control connected to an Alps head stock and chuck:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: December 17, 2020 06:42PM

Definitely look at what Roger has - I worked with him on my set up.
I have a similar control box, foot pedal, and knob speed control. The motor I use is a 12v 200 rpm. I can spin it to 160 rpm max, 6 rpm min.- so it allows you to finish and dry without moving anything but a knob.
It also is reversible which helped me wrap on a renzetti right to left instead of left to right like normal people!????
Anyway, Roger knows what he’s doing and can help you out.

Date: December 17, 2020 09:44PM

Roger/Jon

Thanks guys for your help. I will take the suggestion about lathing separate from power wrapping.

The small video helps me get my head wrapped around it for power wrapping.

I do have an Alps head stock and chuck and want to integrate the best motor and controls. You say to attach a 24v dc gear motor with reverse capability with integrated gear train if I'm correct.
Can you help me to go in the right direction sourcing the correct motor and pulleys?

Not to be a pain in the neck but did you build your control box (24 volt power supply, dc motor speed controller (the knob), potentiometer) or do you have a source for one? If you built it, do you have a parts list? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to building one but am willing to give it a good shot. Any and all suggestions on the best and worse parts is always appreciated. This is valuable info. I don't want to be buying parts that I will not be using being on a limit budget.

I feel I am not the only one out there trying to build the best bench possible.

And for you Jon I ask: What is normal? Right to left, it depends in what part of the world you live. Or it might be up and down, or is it down and up?

Again, many thanks and hope to hear from you.

Bill

Date: December 18, 2020 12:13AM

Bill,
Drop me an e-mail and I can give you some suggestions.

Roger

Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: December 18, 2020 05:45AM

Miss print on my post above - I gave a 24v dc 200 rpm motor- sorry

Posted by: Tyler Arns (---)
Date: December 20, 2020 05:04PM

Tossing this out there for ya as well.

The control knobs of an old cooking range work well if you're needing a type of control switch. They have a nice even increase and decrease in current pass-through as well. Just because they're being used for AC doesn't meant that you can't use them for DC, if you're using a remote power source (battery).

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 22, 2020 11:52PM

I second the remark on consulting Roger; his input was invaluable to produce the perfect wrapper/turning electronics for my self-fabricated unit!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster