I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thread Gaps
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 15, 2020 10:23AM

Ben,
To assist your eyes for close work consider something like this:

[www.amazon.com]

Ever since starting rod building some many years ago, I have always used a head mounted magnifier with very bright light to illuminate the working area.

Plenty of research in the field, that magnification and very bright task lighting is really essential to do an excellent job when working with small detail work.

I prefer a light similar to this one to be able to get the light exactly where I need it.
I normally place the light on top of a 3 lb coffee can to elevate the base to the same height as the rod being worked on, to give me maximum adjustability where to locate the light source for the best work illumination.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have tried using an illuminated magnifying light, but it never worked out for me. Rather, I use the head band with a selection of different magnifying lenses. Normally I use a 1.5 or 2.0 or 2.5 magnification along with the very bright light source about 10 inches from my work.

The following chart is the recommended lighting levels for different rooms and different tasks. Notice that it is recommended for detail work that the lighting level be about 1200 Lux - or the brightest of all recommended lighting levels. Work tiny - need very bright light.

[www.archtoolbox.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 15, 2020 01:11PM

Thanks for the tips Roger..my main reason for poor vision is the lack of depth perception because of one blind eye..and now my sense of touch is getting poorer which makes it difficult to control small objects..i have my work arounds but my rods are less than perfect, however they still work just fine..i enjoy the challenge and fun of this hobby but now it,s just a little more challenging..lol.

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: December 20, 2020 01:44PM

Update. I felt like I did everything right in the last rod and still had some small gaps. Just finished another rod and stepped up the size B. What a game changer for me. Thanks for all the advice. I'll still use A in my fly rods though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 20, 2020 04:22PM

Most of my rod building problems are related to wrapping guides and espcially small ones..so i had to develope some work arounds and they are not pretty..lol. to attach a guide i started with a four or five wrap jamb knot then slid the guide under the last wrap and wrapped the thread from the ring down to the toe..i do not go over or off the guide toe but simply whip finish and leave a bit of the toe stickingg out..because of my poor vision and poor sense of feel this procedure has worked very well..i also discovered that by having the guide toe pointed to the tip of the rod, i can get better and tighter packing of the wraps because i,m packing uphill or into a larger diameter and are making the wraps even tighter, while normally we pack down to a smaller diameter and are loosening the wraps a bit..i use sie B-thread..i have not seen any loss of performance with the guide holes pointing to the butt or tip of the rod..a hole is a hole..lol.also these wraps are much shorter, meaning less weight after finishing..if your getting up in age maybe these tips will help someone..

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 27, 2020 09:12AM

I'm more than a little late to the party, and I'm glad that the size B thread is working out for you, but ....... you're only 8 rods in. And while I certainly understand that producing gap free wraps can be excruciatingly slow work, you'll get better at it. Even if you only build a few rods a year, you'll get better at it.

I've been working on rods for about 6 years. In that time I've only built 14 rods, and put guides on 3 others, so I am not that far ahead of you in actual experience. I am still quite slow when it comes to wrapping guides, but I'm a lot faster than I was even 8 builds ago. I'm almost 64, so the eyes aren't what they used to be. While I'm sure that having wrapped a few more guides has helped to increase my speed, the biggest factor in my increased speed is entirely related to visual acuity. It took me a while, but about 2 years ago I followed Roger Wilson's advice of having excellent lighting, and magnified vision. I got a pair of 3x reading glasses and a LED drafting table light that is bright, and easily adjusted when it comes to positioning the light where I need it.

It amazing how much of a difference it makes, when you're actually able to see what you're doing. lol

You don't have to give up on the size A thread for all of your builds if you don't want to. All you have to do is make sure you can see what you're doing, and be a little more forgiving to yourself about how long it takes you to wrap a rod. After all .... wrapping is finish work, and rushing finish work rarely comes out as nice as you hoped it would.

To borrow the mantra of the company I presently work for ....... Quality ..... not compromise.

BTW, I absolutely love the place I work. The management actually practices what they preach.

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: December 27, 2020 11:43AM

David, I agree on the lighting. I wear 2.5x glasses and an LED headlamp. I need to find a good desk lamp as well.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2020 07:51PM

I'm another B thread guy. Sometimes A but mostly B. I wouldn't double wrap either. That seems like covering up a mistake. Keep at it, go slow and it will come. My first 8 rods are a lot different than my last 8 rods. good luck.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster