I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread Gaps
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:38AM

I'm about 8 rods into this addiction. I'm just finishing up a 6'6" casting rod. I've been doing mostly fly rods to this point. Most of my builds have been size A black thread on NFC blanks. This time around I decided to use orange thread to match the reel in using. I've got a power wrapper as well. I can't seem to get the thread packed enough to eliminate there gaps and can see some black between some of the wraps. This is mostly on the thin part of the blank. For some reason the thicker wraps toward the butt are good. I've tried wrapping my hand as well. Why suggestions? Thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Gaps
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:50AM

Pack the threads as you wrap, two or three wraps and then pack them tight! Additionally be sure you have enough tension so they are not loose.

Light colors on a dark blank will expose the wrapping problems, not have not possibly been apparent before.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:54AM

I use a slightly dulled tip dental pick so it won't scratch the blank, and I can use it to push the thread wraps closer together and tighten things up and eliminate any gaps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:57AM

Pack and burnish, and/or use size B or D thread.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Garza (---.184.162.189.available.above.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 11:14AM

I use size D for my first 3 guides then size A for the rest. You can double wrap your A thread and this will eliminate any translucent when working with lighter colors on a dark blank.

Date: December 13, 2020 11:57AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm packing the thread every couple wraps. I never thought of double wrapping. I'm sure that it has been hidden in the past since I mainly use black.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 01:12PM

maybe try B thread..it,s diameter is between A and D..mudhole has a fair color selection..

Date: December 13, 2020 01:37PM

I was told that the smaller diameter was easier to use and laid tighter. Again, I'm a new builder so I have no idea. What goes into thread size selection?

Date: December 13, 2020 02:41PM

Gary, you have to try things..then you,ll know..

Date: December 13, 2020 05:23PM

B or D thread is much easier to wrap than A, and once you finish with epoxy you can’t tell them apart.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 13, 2020 06:02PM

Gary,
When you go back to fly rods - size "A" for the stripper and next guide (assuming 2nd is also a ceramic) then "00" for the runners. "00" is more friendly for small diameter tips. "00" makes for a lower profile, and more attractive, and less finish - therefore lighter rod.
Herb
CTS Rep.

Date: December 13, 2020 07:43PM

00 will wrap tighter than A under the same tension, you may have to back off on tension for 00, especially on smaller diameters..

Date: December 13, 2020 08:24PM

Now I'm confused. 00 thread?

Date: December 13, 2020 09:27PM

Yes, there is such a thing as 00 thread, but most people don’t use it, it’s very fine.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:18PM

Herb is correct, 00 would make the wraps thinner and lighter! However,it would be even more transparent than "A' and as it is not as popular as "A" the color selection is not as broad. Additionally some find it difficult to work with.

If you are actually seeing gaps between the thread wraps, they are not packed tight enough. If what you are seeing is a dark blank where the threads are together, it is because that is where it is the thinnest, and that can be helped by burnishing which flattens the threads so they mesh better.

One thing not mentioned.......is this before applying epoxy or after?

Date: December 13, 2020 10:26PM

I packed and burnished as best I could. Packed after every wrap. It took me forever. I did the best I could and just epoxied it this morning. The rod is for me so I will live with it. It's only on the runners on the thinest part of the blank.

I'm building the same rod for a buddy but am using black thread. I may bump up the size.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 13, 2020 11:58PM

I’ve found that with the power wrapper using fairly tight tension, keeping your thread “behind” the head of the wrap (that is so that the spool lags where it’s wrapping onto the blank), and then using the edge of a burnishing tool to press the oncoming thread tight to the wrap will help get it wel packed from the get go. I’ll still burnish well afterwards

Some of the above is hard to do when wrapping guides so you may just have to wrap a few turns and then push the thread tight to pack

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 14, 2020 03:32PM

I also use a power wrapper.
I use very high thread tension when wrapping. I just keep the angle of the thread to the wrapping at about 30 degrees and this keeps the thread tight and well packed.

When I say tight tension, I mean that I use as much tension as possible so that I am just barely able to rotate a guide using two thumbs on the guide. By working with nice tight tension like this, it is easy to get a tight pack with the use of the thread angle while being wrapped, and no issue with the guides moving once the wrapping is complete.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 14, 2020 08:23PM

Skip the 00, I don't care much for A for that matter, B and D for me. Never over wrap. Practice wraps till you achieve a level you're happy with.

Date: December 14, 2020 08:43PM

B and D thread also, mostly B but mainly because of poor vision..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster