I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mystery tool
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 12, 2020 06:51PM

Several years ago, I picked up a mystery tool at a garage sale or some similar place. I could never figure out what the tool was used for. My grand daughter was over and she is very creative with some of the things that she does and I happened to see this mystery tool in my tool box and thought that perhaps she would have a use for it.

At any rate, we chatted about it for a while and it gave me the idea that I should really try to find out what the tool was actually used for.

Here is a link that I found that actually explains what the tool is and what it is used for:

[sawdustandwoodchips.com]

Because this is a rod building forum, and because we use cork in various shapes, I thought that it would be appropriate to post the link here.

A common way to put holes in cork is to use the end of a sharpened brass tube to cut the holes into the cork for a perfect cut, as well as a perfect blank that is cut from the cork.

As it turns out, this mystery tool that I have that has never ever been used is actually a sharpener to sharpen the end of the brass tube when it gets dull to create a sharp edge on the brass tube.

There is a blade that comes out from the base of the cone and an adjusting screw that sets the angle of the blade to accomodate different sized pieces of brass tubing that need to be made sharp.

Fun to finally find the actual purpose for this mystery tool that has been in one of my tool boxes for so many years.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mystery tool
Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: December 12, 2020 07:31PM

Very cool! I hope you need to sharpen some tubing soon.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: December 12, 2020 09:39PM

Roger

I am familiar with that tool.

In the shop was used to punch rubber as well as cork gaskets for glass tube sight gauges for oil, water on tanks and boilers, also gaskets for glass manometers.and other gasket applications.

The primary use was to punch the bolt holes in round or rectangular gaskets.

In the lab it was used to make custom stoppers and stoppers with holes to use as fittings for the various glass bottles and specialty vials.

The tool with the folding blade was used to keep the end of the punches sharp. Due to human nature some users tended to abuse the tool by punching harder materials or using it in a manner it was not intended which in turn dulled or nicked the punch.

The punches and sharpener usually came as a set.

It is an oldie but goodie.

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 09:11AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 12, 2020 09:40PM

Yes - that's what it is.
I use sharpened brass tubes to cut plugs from rubberized cork fighting butt caps.
I then insert a bushed steel tube into the blank's butt to turn on my lathe. Then I use the plug to seal the hole in the fighting butt.
I use a fine file to sharpen the brass tube - but was considering buying one of your tools on @#$%& to use instead of the file.
Herb

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 07:57AM

I would have never guessed, very interesting.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 13, 2020 10:43AM

Have been using cork borers and sharpeners for a long time. Used them when I worked in lab to bore holes in cork and rubber stoppers to fit glass tubing for miscellaneous laboratory uses. I also use them to cut cork and other soft materials for rod building. The sharpeners do work quite well.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 13, 2020 03:06PM

i use a conical shaped stone and roll the outer edge on sandpaper..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster