I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Fact vs Fiction
Posted by: Matt Dyer (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2020 05:27PM

Valid point Russ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Matt Dyer (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2020 05:42PM

Steve,

Regarding micro guides, I don't like them as the rings are often times not big enough to pass a surgeon's knot through. I know I'm in the minority now a days because I still fish monofilament line, so maybe for braid with PR or FG knots micro guides are OK. Just don't like them for mono.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 17, 2020 06:53PM

As long as there are no loose ferrules or guides (or wind) and given the same input (casting motion) accepted laws of physics predict the rod will cast to the same spot every time. It's up to the caster to adapt to the rod's peculiarities. Rest assured the rod will NOT adapt to the caster's peculiarities, no matter how many or what kind or what size guides are used or where they are placed.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 17, 2020 06:57PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh my, what should I do with a baitcaster where
> I'm turning the reel sideways during part of the
> cast and then right side up during the remainder
> of the cast. I suppose I;m doomed to be an
> inaccurate caster.

I suppose we all learn to cast differently. I have learned, whether spinning or baitcaster to backswing into the soft bend and out of it. I prefer to cast the baitcast rod and reel more side arm than overhead, and I turn the reel sideways as well, but I am still backswinging into the soft spot on the rod. That does not change for me regardless of reel position. But after the rod unloads I also turn the reel back to up to finish the cast when the bend in the rod is exhausted for lack of a better word.

I guess the equipment trained me! Whether it helps my accuracy or not is not measureable by any device, but if I believe it does, does that count? lol. I just can not build a rod with a soft spot in any other location than up, Well I could, but it would bug the heck out of me!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 17, 2020 07:17PM

As long as the reel spools the line in the exact same fashion, each and every time ..... as long as the line comes off the spool in the exact same fashion, each and every time ..... as long as the bait bait being cast flies in the exact same way, each and every time ...... as long as the caster doesn't move the rod even a little bit during the time the bait is in flight, each and every time ..... as long as the blah blah blah ...... each and every time......

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 17, 2020 07:44PM

And still a trick caster can toss a practice weight into a cup at 30 feet each and every time..lol.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 09:59PM

I can’t see buying any kind if rod for that kind of money unless it had Gold in it.
When one talks about price on a Custom Rod, $500.00 is not real, if you can get that much for the rod, .please tell us how you do it,The best price I’ve got for one rod was $ 175.00 that rod I gave $90.00 for the rod blank. Well I feel like Some one is not living in the real world.just my thinking,.,

What is life without fishing ?

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster