I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SeaGuide Order
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 08, 2020 01:13AM

I just received my very first order of SeaGuide components. I had never really considered them as a source until a couple of weeks ago. I was having trouble putting together a full train in a few of the product lines I’ve used before. Then, the Rod Builder’s Warehouse Black Friday sale came out and I saw they had everything I needed, except for a hook keeper, in “Blu-Titanium”, and blue. Blue guides weren’t anything I had ever thought about, but it seemed like they would look nice on my blank. I did have some trepidation going away from manufacturers that have yielded good results to me. I couldn’t find any negative reviews for SeaGuide. I actually didn’t find reviews, either way. Thus, I really didn’t know what to expect for quality. I went ahead and ordered as I seldom have this much leeway to experiment. The particular rod is for myself. It’s one I will use close to home. It’s failure would only slightly hamper a local trip.

Visually, everything looks great. The guide feet are some of the best prepped I have seen. The frames are all straight and uniform. The finishes are clean and the color matches across the guides, winding check, and butt cap. The rings all look to be smooth and seated correctly. The base materials and coatings should be quality. I don’t know anything about the durability of the rings or their failure rate. These seem like the only unknowns left to test. At this stage, I’m very pleased. I’d like to read about any of your experiences with SeaGuide durability. I’m not saying that I expect these products to fail. It’s just that I normally take as few chances with blanks and components as possible. A newer company to a market is inherently a less-known, higher risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 03:56AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SeaGuide Order
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 08, 2020 10:37AM

Newer companies can,t afford to make any mistakes lest the hired guns for the old companys start taking pot-shots..lol.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2020 02:12PM

I have been using them for about a year and a half and have had no failures or returns yet. The guides are very light weight and the rings are thin. I have been told that the ring material can take more flexing than the Fuji material but is still very hard with a smooth surface. They also make titanium hook keepers.

Date: December 08, 2020 03:28PM

Thanks, that experience is good to hear about. I looked up “silicon nitride” since SeaGuide doesn’t seem to describe the material. It appears to be a hard ceramic with high tensile strength. This has to be a difficult market for a new company to break into as the perception of reliability is crucial. Constructively offered, their English language corporate literature doesn’t seem to much address the reliability or performance of their products.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2020 04:43PM

FWIW, Seaguide has been around since 1997.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2020 08:01AM

I have used some of their spinning reel seats on some customer walleye builds, Customers like them as well as myself. No failures coming back their comfortable and holding up great!

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2020 08:10AM

Personally, I am glad this company made their products more accessible to the individual builder through the Rod Builder Warehouse site to the left. If I understand correctly, they used to only supply large factory rod companies. After meeting Rick Hall at last years ICRBE and dealing with Arthur Lin via email through the course of this year, I am really happy with their High Frame titanium spinning guides for reduction trains and the running guides are fine as well. The folks I build for want the Fuji's and I think the microwaves are technically superior to everything else, as well as easiest to set up, but I have seaguides on my own rods along with those two -because- they don't look like everything else. They're very affordable and the Silicone Nitride ring looks thin like the torzite. Found this review from last year from a guy who is highly respected where I grew up. Hope he doesn't mind copied and pasted.

Re: Sea guide models
Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2019 08:47AM

I use a lot of Sea Guide guides. Mostly heavier boat, spin. My rods fish the mighty Atlantic, year round. Their guides are as good as anything I have seen, by any other mfrg. We are often told that the SIC, Zirconia etc rings are the way to go. The fact is, even a cheaper ring is a very good ring. What few people think about is the frame. They can say anything they want about 316, 304, etc etc, but if you see the frame rusting after the rod is built, guess what??? You are screwed. Sea guide frames hold up against corrosion better than any other frame I have worked with. I often wondered how the "Big Shots" never dealt with corrosion problems. Also, Sea guide is priced "Right"!. I think their website needs to be updated, but the products are excellent! I'd like to see them get more into heavier offshore products, but what they have now are top of the line.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2020 07:40PM

I have used "fresh water" tackle in salt water for a long time. The last time any of my tackle, company made or self-made, corroded was several decades ago. I Always Thoroughly rinse my tackle in fresh water before either my tackle or I myself enter my house. Always. Just one careless oversight and15 hours later the damage is done and can't be undone, but if you always rinse it before you store it you have little to fear from salt corrosion.

Date: December 09, 2020 11:08PM

Freshwater rinsing can actually be nearly impossible for the traveling angler to do. Once, I did it in an airport bathroom before check-in (awkward). Often, showers and sinks in the guest rooms of more remote angling destinations (like the Outer Islands of the Bahamas), are saltwater. Washing gear in the dining area, where you fill your drinking water bottles, is a no-go. Freshwater is pretty much for human consumption only in many places where bonefish, permit, tarpon, and trevally live. If you know anyone who lives near coastal Alaska, they probably have a connection to a fishermen’s cabin that you will get to by skiff. Ive only seen a few of these that have a freshwater collection system. You carry your drinking and cooking water in containers on the skiff. Your host will not appreciate you pouring that on your gear. If you are out a week, your gear is corroding for a week.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 11:43PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster