I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swelled Butt on a graphite rod? How to do it
Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: December 07, 2020 09:42AM

I have seen a lot of pictures on the internet lately of graphite rods where the rod appears "swelled" from the end of the handle down to the blank. These areas are very smooth and have a great transition from the handle to the blank. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how it is done. It almost looks like the blank was made that way, that is how good it is. I have no idea how to achieve this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swelled Butt on a graphite rod? How to do it
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2020 10:00AM

Some blanks are indeed made this way. It's not new, really. Shimano had such rods on the market in the 1980's.

You could likely do something like this via a foam core, carbon skinned grip if you crafted the core in such a way as to allow a smooth transition from blank to handle portion. You'd probably have to do the skinning portion with the core mounted on the blank to have things blend well. With a little thought this would certainly be possible.

Posted by: Eric Egee (---)
Date: December 07, 2020 07:44PM

I think this is what you're talking about. [www.rodbuilding.org]

I use this quite often to make a larger "canvas" on which to apply decals; [www.rodbuilding.org] or other art, i.e. feathers, [www.rodbuilding.org]
or perhaps a painting of a vintage lure. [www.rodbuilding.org]

There are probably several ways to achieve the "swelled butt." The technique I use involves using a two part gel epoxy which I apply to the area to "swell" with a small spatula as the rod is rotating on my rod dryer. I build up the epoxy as best I can to form the desired shape of a cone on the rod up against the fore grip. The use of the gel epoxy works best as it does not run or drip. After the epoxy has cured I turn the rod on the lathe and shape the epoxy to the desired size and shape with various grits of sand paper. I usually start with 100 grit and work down to 400 grit.

If the swell is the shape I want, I paint a coat of liquid thread epoxy finish, (Trondak U-40), on the swell to fill in any small holes or divots in the cone of cured gel epoxy. If everything goes as planned, you have a smooth, cone shaped, swelled butt on which you can cover with thread to achieve any desired color for your background or design. You can also wrap in a hook keeper in this location. Obviously how you choose to decorate is limited only to your imagination. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: December 08, 2020 11:48AM

I questioned a picture that I saw on Facebook, and I got a reply. The swell on the butt was achieved with EVA. Once it was sanded they way they liked, then it was epoxied over, smoothed again, and then the blank was painted. Looks amazing.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 10, 2020 10:58PM

Are you the wade Christensen I know?

Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: December 17, 2020 06:26PM

I seem to remember a post a few years ago that stated it could be done with a product like rod bond. Tape everything off, mix it, apply it with a spatula, let set for short time, then use a wet finger to smooth it out to the shape you want.
Then you can put your thread over it and put what you like.
I have used Flexcoat to build a ramp from the blank to the end of the fore grip(then wrap) instead of using a winding check but it takes multiple coats and is a pain to make it very long.

Jon Hood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster