I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Underwrap
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 05, 2020 06:29PM

Perhaps this subject has been dissected ad infinitum but..... please humor me. I have built fly rods but not in a few years and I would classify my ability as mediocre at best. I am building a 3 wt 10 ft nymph rod as a Covid stay at home project, I have a neighbor who has been building rods for 50 years and is very, very good, he helps me whenever I need it, which is often. He is an advocate of underwraps on all rods regardless of weight and his wraps look beautiful but how important are underwraps on light rods? I do underwrap if a guide falls close to a ferrule but I simply cannot do an underwrap that looks good, I can barely do an overwrap on the blank that is OK. My wraps will hold up to fishing but wont win any prizes for best of show. Are underwraps necessary? Your honest opinions please

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrap
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 05, 2020 07:04PM

Jim Alberts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are underwraps necessary? Your honest opinions please

Are they necessary? Think about this... rods were built for more than 100 years without them.

Underwraps are a choice, not a necessity.

I personally don't use them. For my purposes they are simply not needed, add weight, and dampen vibrations or sensitivity.

Some think they protect the blank from the guide foot. Who knows...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 05, 2020 07:16PM

If you have a flat and properly prepped guide foot you don't need under wraps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2020 08:08PM

"who has been building rods for 50 years"

And that is why he is an advocate of under wraps. I'm old and guilty of the same. In my defense I could say it is because I built saltwater rods. It is also a way to add bling easily. Then I came here and got with the times. Now I don't use them on anything under 30# class. I think us older guys bought into "That's the way I always heard it should be".

To you I'd say. That's just the way it is. Somethings will never change. Ah, but don't you believe them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 05, 2020 08:13PM

My reasoning that under wraps are not necessary.

I am building a rod and it will take 50 yards to apply an under wrap and it will take another 50 yards to wrap the guides BUT there are only 50 yards of thread left in the world, QUESTION, which operation will I be eliminating to complete the rod?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2020 10:10PM

Underwraps only add weight, and enough to be felt on a light power rod. They're not necessary.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: December 06, 2020 09:28AM

No way are they necessary on a 3 wt fly rod. I will only use them on offshore and longer beach rods where there will be more force on the blank, Inshore and fly rods, they are not needed especially when you want it light.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 06, 2020 09:52AM

Just thinking outloud..use OO thread for under and over wrap on 3wt. and one part finissh, even just CP as a finish(no epoxy)..would that lock down snake guides better than no underwrap and epoxy..lol..still less weight.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: December 06, 2020 12:41PM

Simply put, there is no benefit to under wrap on a fly rod. I'm well over fifty years building and teaching both building and throwing fly rods. Building one is much more difficult than learning to throw one. But equaly fun to do.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 06, 2020 01:06PM

Paul, i have read on this site that snake guides are somewhat prone to being pulled out from under the wrap even if epoxy is used..i was just speculating that an underwrap may help better secure the guide in place and that if you used lighter materials you could reduce the weight issue..i don,t think it would be attractive to sell but may work for a hobby builder for their own use..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2020 02:40PM

Guides don't get pulled out from under thread wraps from fighting a fish. Only way to do that is snag the guide on some type of obstruction and yank it out.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 06, 2020 05:23PM

A couple of Forhan wraps will much diminish the chances of guides "pulling out" from under wrappings. Layers of wrapping and thread art are interesting to look at, and as long as the rod spends the lion's share of its time in a rod holder the added weight of elaborate decoration won't much bother.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2020 08:24PM

Underwraps on a fly rod add nothing but weight, they won't keep a guide from being pulled out!

Single foot guides with the Forhan locking wrap that as Phil mentioned above will keep them in place.

Date: December 07, 2020 08:02AM

Thank you very much for your prompt and succinct replies. It would seem it is unanimous I will not be laughed off the trout stream for not using an underwrap. I suspected this is what I would hear but it is nice to have it confirmed by people more knowledgable than I am. Thanks again

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 07, 2020 09:30AM

Jim,
With your respect to your comment about a trout stream.
I would hope that you can get away from the crowds in your fishing adventures, so that you can fish all day in your secluded wonderful trout waters without seeing another person. Happiness is the quiet and beauty of a quiet trout water in the eary morning as the sun is rising or the sun is setting after a great day in the out of doors.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: December 07, 2020 11:04AM

Roger hit it on the head. "Happiness is the quiet and beauty of a quiet trout water in the early morning as the sun is rising or the sun is setting after a great day in the out of doors." Any fishy setting under these circumstances is why I do what I do.

Date: December 08, 2020 10:41AM

I was being somewhat facetious in my remark about being laughed at. In over 50 years of trout fishing the only time anyone has laughed at me is when I have taken one of my spectacular falls, which I am famous for. AND the ones laughing are my fishing buddies

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2020 03:17PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Jim,
> With your respect to your comment about a trout
> stream.
> I would hope that you can get away from the crowds
> in your fishing adventures, so that you can fish
> all day in your secluded wonderful trout waters
> without seeing another person. Happiness is the
> quiet and beauty of a quiet trout water in the
> eary morning as the sun is rising or the sun is
> setting after a great day in the out of doors.

Jim,

I fish the North Branch of the Potomac river on the Western MD and WV border. Days like these - not seeing anyone all day while trout fishing - are very, very common. Sometimes I look at my watch when I am fly fishing and realize that I have been in the we same spot for well over an hour!

This is truly God's Country...

Ron B

Date: December 14, 2020 03:18PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Jim,
> stream.

Jim,

I fish the North Branch of the Potomac river on the Western MD and WV border. Days like these - not seeing anyone all day while trout fishing - are very, very common. Sometimes I look at my watch when I am fly fishing and realize that I have been in the we same spot for well over an hour!

Ron B

Date: December 14, 2020 03:18PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Jim,
> stream.

Jim,

Ron Beloff

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster