I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel seat size question
Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: December 04, 2020 07:50PM

Hey all. I am building a Rainshadow Eternity 2 (these blanks are stunning in person!) and I plan on using this for striped bass in the California delta. It's an 8 wt rod and I am putting a Galvan Grip 8 reel on it. I want to use an Alps triangle seat in blue and am confused as to sizes. Thanks in advance!

Robert Ford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel seat size question
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2020 08:08PM

From what I see, they don't offer different sizes. The only option I see is rather you want a recessed hood or not. At least among the fly reel seats.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 04, 2020 08:15PM

I think the catalog on their website lists the triangle fly reel seats separate from the others if you select fly components

Date: December 04, 2020 08:15PM

Good to know!

Date: December 04, 2020 08:17PM

I got confused lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 05, 2020 01:14AM

TRI-AH12MTR-CB You will have a very cobalt rod from top to bottom with that reel seat. I wrapped up this summer a 9ft. 5wt. Eternity2, but traditional wooden fly rod seat. People seem to love or hate the color of these blanks. I like the color and the rod. There are cobalt threads (Pro Wrap 455) available that match it quite well.

Date: December 05, 2020 10:12AM

David blue is my favorite color and I think all that cobalt will look obnoxiously good! I'm a SF Giants fan and it pains my that my favorite color is Dodger blue blech!! I already have an email in to utmost with a components list. That very alps seat is on that list.

Robert Ford

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 05, 2020 12:28PM

While my rod has a traditional wooden reel seat, the rest is all cobalt, including the thread which is nearly a total match with the blank. I put on dark single foot guides. I took the rod to a local fly shop to test drive a few fly lines. All the younger folks at ths shop loved the color. I am 64 but I think it is just fine. Here are few photos in an on line rod review that use that actual reel seat that you are ordering on an Eternity2 blank. [www.tackletour.com]

Enjoy your build and the rod. You will have some wiggle room between that reel seat and the blank, so make sure to create 3 areas where you build up wraps of approx. 1/2" maksing tape to properly fit (seat) the reel seat.

Well, despite seeing your nemesis team win the World Series, you will enjoy their color on you new rod. The cobalt color is actually deeper than Dodger blue. I am a Rockies fan, but not a real fan of purple, especially on a fly rod blank.

I found it a bit of a challenge to find a fly line I really liked on my 5 weight E2. I like it with a more true to AFTMA standards line rather than the more modern super aggresive tapers. Though I suspect that will be different on an 8 weight.

Date: December 05, 2020 08:59PM

david taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Well, despite seeing your nemesis team win the
> World Series, you will enjoy their color on you
> new rod. The cobalt color is actually deeper than
> Dodger blue. I am a Rockies fan, but not a real
> fan of purple, especially on a fly rod blank.

LOL the Dodgers didn't win a TRUE world series. I went to a Giants Rockies game,buddy lives in Denver. Nice park,Blackmon hit a dinger. Giants lost.

>
> I found it a bit of a challenge to find a fly line
> I really liked on my 5 weight E2. I like it with
> a more true to AFTMA standards line rather than
> the more modern super aggresive tapers. Though I
> suspect that will be different on an 8 weight.

I plan on experimenting with this blank. I have a fly shop that will help me get outfitted.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2020 07:18PM

I built and have fished the E2 since they first came out, and I find mine loads better for distance casting large rivers with a RIO Gold line. The Gold is one half weight heavier then the standard.

Date: December 07, 2020 08:37PM

I'm gonna have to play with lines. Thanks for the tips guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster