I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

euro blank vs commercial build
Posted by: Andrew Grandemange (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2020 05:05PM

Thanks for the add to the forum. i hope this question is appropriate for this forum.

I am looking to build another fly rod this winter and through my google searches for 10' 3wt blanks, this forum kept popping up. I've read over those posts and they have provided some great information about current blanks designed for euro nymphing. I am trying to keep my budget on this rod as close to $200 as I can which limits what I can purchase. It appears many on this site would choose the CTS Affinity X but that is out of my range.

From what I was able to find, options within my range would include flyrodcrafters euro nymph blank (10' 3wt), H&H Xi Czech nymph blank (10' 3wt) or Proof fly fishing (10' 3/4wt). All three of these appear fairly similar. However from what I've read on the forum, many blanks are not designed specifically for nymphing but are longer rods marketed as euro blanks.

Here comes my question. Does anyone know how those rods, specifically the one from Proof, compare to the Orvis clearwater 10' 3wt that is currently sold? I may purchase the clearwater rod and build a 6wt instead, if the clearwater is an overall better nymphing rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: euro blank vs commercial build
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 30, 2020 05:50PM

Anthony,

As the U.S. CTS Rep - I can tell you that the CTS 10'0" Affinity-X #3 is not above your price range.
Email me if you wish to proceed.
Herb

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 30, 2020 07:30PM

I looked for a blank suitable to build in to a proper nymph rod and came up with the same conclusions you have. I know there was talk not long ago of cts coming out with a new euro blank for our market but Herb would know most about that. I would think , unless you can check out the cts, would be to go with a production euro rod and build yourself the 5wt. There are some excellent blank options out there for typical actioned fly rods.

Posted by: Andrew Grandemange (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2020 08:50PM

Herb - just sent you an email

Ross - yeah, that’s the way I’m leaning as well dependent on what I hear from Herb. Considering most euro rod recommendations are to keep it somewhat stealthy in color, it would probably be more fun to build a 6 weight that I can make more flashy as it would be used as a streamer rod. I would love to build another epic rod too.

Thanks for your input

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: December 01, 2020 08:42AM

Hi Anthony, my journey to building euro nymphing rods is similar to yours, and I also found most 10' blanks to be really just standard fly rods that lacked the euronymphing soft tip.
My experiences:
-Batson 10' 5wt (the green blank): 5 wt. is too big/stiff for trout euronymphing.
-H&H Xi 10' 4wt: definitely lacks the delicacy for maintaining contact w/ nymph rigs; heavy
-Pac Bay Quickline 10'4 wt: a much nicer, lighter, more sensitive blank, though still tip-stiff. I use for high-water when I've got a lot of shot on the rig.

Like you are considering, I broke down and got an Orvis recon 10' 3wt and all the mechanics of euro and tightline nymphing are making sense; I have great connection to the flies. And to me, the three weight really is the best all-around weight for a nymphing rod; the 4s are kind of heavy, which unfortunately are the smallest weights most blank manufacturers have at the moment.

I'm also looking forward to the CTS line of euro blanks.

Best, Angelo.

Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.50.---)
Date: December 02, 2020 12:21AM

I have the Proof Czech rod. I purchased 2 blanks from proof and built one for me and the other for a friend. I have not fished mine yet, however he has fished it and really likes it. From my understanding the Proof is designed as a Czech rod. Call Matt at Proof. He knows what he is talking about and is easy to get in touch with.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 02, 2020 11:42AM

I have the H&H Xi10' 3-wt. but have not wrapped it up yet. I do have an H&H Xi 9 ft. 5wt rod for general trout fishing and find it to be an extremely good rod for nymphing, so I have hope for the 3 wt.

PacBay now has a 10' 9" Arctos in a 3-weight.

As indicated above, CTS makes top-notch blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster