I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Micro Guide Bands and Tip Top
Posted by: Paul Farrell (103.104.164.---)
Date: November 30, 2020 04:19PM

Hi,

Have just ordered some CRB Micro Guide bands and have a quick question regarding their use...

Do they stretch over the tip top, or do you need to get the bands onto the blank before you glue the tip top on?

Regards,
Paul Farrell
NSW Australia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Micro Guide Bands and Tip Top
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 30, 2020 06:01PM

You must put them on the blank 1st. I usually put on a couple extra in case I might need to add more guides. Those bands are made in a few different sizes and I do wish Mudhole would look into selling additional sizes. You will find that they may not stretch enough to get down the blank far enough in many cases. I use a few different types of bands and elastic thread at times. Orthodontists can be of help on this topic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 06:30PM by Lynn Behler.

Re: CRB Micro Guide Bands and Tip Top
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 30, 2020 07:15PM

Paul,
Just do an internet search for Orthodontic bands, and the world will open onto you for a huge variety of sizes, colors, shapes and prices. But, these items are generally very inexpensive and are easy to use.

I will just put on the appropriate sized bands to handle the size of the blank where a guide will be placed. Slid them down from the tip top - arranging them in the correct order. When doing this I will always put on two or three extra bands in case you need one more.

Put the guide in your desired location and slip the bank over the guide foot up to the middle or so of the guide foot.

I modified a pair of diagonal pliers to give a very sharp fine tipped cutters to cut the bands when needed. By having the pliers handy, it is easy to do about 4 or 5 wraps on the guide, then nip the band and finish the wrap. By using nippers, there is no chance of scratching or marking the blank as would be the case if you used a razor blade or razor knife to cut the band.

A pair of Cuticle nippers work extremely well to nip the bands when needed. Close cut nipping and extremely sharp.
[www.amazon.com]

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster