I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need advise on going from the top wrap down to the rod blank
Posted by: Mike Stephens (193.56.116.---)
Date: November 29, 2020 05:25PM

Hey guys this is my first post. I have been reading for quite sometime but have just gotten going in my rod building. Today on my 2nd rod ever I wrapped about 8" from the fore grip towards the tip in a dark blue. After that I did a 2 color cross wrap on top of the blue with 2 shades of tan. finishing up I did about 1" on the top wrap in tan on the reel seat end. That end went ok Im guessing because I was ending up against the winding check. On the tip end though when I was transitioning from on top of the dark blue base wrap I was having trouble getting over the last thread or 2. Is this a tension issue maybe being to tight on the top wrap? The top thread just kept falling between the last threads. Since the last thread is only pulled back through it doesnt have a lot of tension so the top wrap kept popping down between the last threads. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need advise on going from the top wrap down to the rod blank
Posted by: Terry Bain (---)
Date: November 29, 2020 06:29PM

Mike,
A lot depends on the size of the under wrap thread. Not knowing what size you used, it's always a good idea to use size A for the under wrap and pack it tightly as you wrap. A larger size, say size D, is not a good choice, unless you're using the same size for top and bottom threads. Size A thread will generally go between the size D thread because it's a smaller diameter thread.
Anytime you have an under wrap, it has to be wrapped with the proper tension with the threads packed tightly from time to time and then burnished. After that it's generally a good idea (personal choice) to use color preserver, which will help set the under wrap threads from separating when you apply the top thread. You still may be able to save your wrap if you can back up your top thread a short distance, not loosing tension, and pack the under wrap thread back to the left (towards the fore grip) and apply a little CP, let that dry and try again after couple of hours or tomorrow. This may take care of the top thread going through the under wrap.
Good luck, as it sounds like you're hooked on rod building. Great hobby!!!

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2020 06:54PM

Mike it sounds as though you didn't wrap over your pull loop enough, reading your post it sounds like you only went over it once. I will usually wrap 8 to 12 times over the loop before I pull the end thru. Second, what Terry says makes a possible save on your wrap when you pull your short tag end thru twist your couple of end wraps to help tighten the tie off , it may help tighten your tag end a little tighter. Always a smart move wrapping an A thread as a under wrap and over wrapping with a larger size thread, I use D over A all the time.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Date: November 29, 2020 07:33PM

Thanks guys. I did use D size thread on the complete wrap and that makes sense stepping down off of A size thread will be better. I had the tag end pulled under 4 or 5 wraps I'll do more next try. It came out great except for that final end. Its not terrible there are a couple spots at the end I just cant get the dark blue to completely pack over the last tan wrap. But a flaw is a flaw and thats the first place I look. I will give the CP a try.I'm pretty sure I can get the end wrap off without losing the entire wrap. But if not I'll get to do it over correctly. Thanks for the tips and info guys.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 30, 2020 11:27AM

I am no expert on this, but I seem to remember posts recommending wrapping the over-wrap in the other direction from the under-wrap. like wrap towards the tip with the under, towards the butt with the over. Might be worth a try.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: December 01, 2020 09:53AM

Michael is right. On the tip end of the butt wrap you should start your tan wrap on the blank and then wrap up over the butt wrap.

Date: December 01, 2020 08:18PM

thanks for the advise that makes sense to push the thread towards itself rather than force it to separate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster