I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing finish work
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 07:41PM

I finished my first fly rod in early October. I've built a bunch since then and my epoxy work has much improved. I pulled out that first rod, an NFC 6wt, and saw some imperfections in the finish. It is only cosmetic but it bothers me. My question is there a way to redo epoxy or add another coat this far removed without removing it all? Thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing finish work
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2020 10:15PM

You can always add another coat. I have also found you can sand/file as aggressively as desired provided you don't damage the threads.

Coats after 24 to 48 hours are no longer a chemical bond, only an adhesive bond. Still that is "good enough".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 10:41PM

No problem. If you have a gunk build up you can clean the guide wraps with soap and water and let them dry. A use tooth bush works great for this.Then rough up the guide wraps with an extra fine ScothBrite pad (the grey ones) or extra fine steel wool, just enough to remove the gloss. Remove any dust with a clean dry cloth, and then add a thin coat of epoxy. This should solve your problem. I have done wraps like this after years of use with no adhesion problems.
Norm

Date: November 29, 2020 12:14AM

Thanks. On a few there is some extra build up visible. Almost like the epoxy was applied after it sat too long and wasn't able to self level. I'd like to knock it down a bit and put a thin coat on to blend it. Can I sand it down a bit?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 29, 2020 12:25AM

Yes you can do that. Just don't sand into the threads. You can wrap a piece of fine sandpaper onto a popsicle stick, or use a fingernail Emory board, acts as a sanding block and will help to knock down the high spots.
Norm

Date: November 29, 2020 12:58AM

Perfect. Thanks Norm. It's got two good coats on it so it shouldn't come close to the thread. I just want to blend it. I understand after a couple of months since the build it isn't a chemical bond but will an adhesive bond still look clear?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: November 29, 2020 10:16AM

Yes, the wrap's matte grey finish after sanding will become gloss clear when the additional finish coat of epoxy is applied.

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: November 29, 2020 10:33AM

Hey Gary

Agree with everything said here. One other tip... if you go to a hobby store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby they sell very thin sanding sticks...almost like emery boards cut into long thin strips. I have found them very useful for small areas around guides and very delicate areas. They come in different grits as well. Good luck!

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster