I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blade bait spinning blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Canavan (38.145.150.---)
Date: November 28, 2020 11:01AM

Searching for a spinning blank to make fairly long casts off a dock using 1/2 - 3/4oz blade baits: target is 4 - 10lb lake trout in 4' - 8' of water. I'm leaning toward a 7' or longer blank (distance), and probably MH power, but not sure of what type of blank (MB, SJ, etc.).

Many thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2020 12:04PM by Mike Canavan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blade bait spinning blank recommendation
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 28, 2020 06:04PM

Select a blank power that has lure weight recommendations that match your expected lure weights. This will ensure that the rod will load properly for those lures, and will cast most efficiently. The longer the blank, the longer the casts. For blades and similar techniques I think a moderate/fast action is best. For snapping off the bottom, whether blades or small swimbaits on bullet head jigs, you want the action to be right for following the lure back to the bottom with a little tension on the line, not a slack line. In my experience, for blades and similar, a med/light power, mod/fast action gets this done the best.

Date: November 28, 2020 06:11PM

REVIP70ML-SB
Inshore / sea trout /

7' 6-12 1/8-3/8 0.390 5.0 M-Fast 1.7oz ML
$60.38

This is the blank I like the best for what you are looking for.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 28, 2020 07:04PM

I use a 1/2 oz blades a lot for walleyes and smallmouths. My favorite blanks are MHX Mag XF 2 power. I have not used it, but I would think that the MB863XF-MHX would work great for blades up to 3/4 oz.

Blade baits are a little funny. They have treble hooks but you need enough power in the blank to work the bait. I like soft tips of the Mag XF blanks to help keep fish hooked, but still have backbone to fish the bait.

Date: November 28, 2020 08:06PM

Thank you very much, I'll check those blanks out!

Michael, I was actually looking at the Revelation popping blanks earlier, esp. the 7'6 (thinking longer casts) REVIP76M-SB. Would the REVIP70ML or REVIP76ML handle 1/2 - 3/4oz blades ok? Thanks again

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---)
Date: November 29, 2020 02:14PM

I hae made a couple using the RodGeeks C473MHXS and does a great job. I have built using SC5MXF and a couple with MHX and the RodGeeks perform the best.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Date: November 30, 2020 08:22AM

Thank you Doug, that RODgeeks blank sounds great, especially for the heavier sizes, I may give it a try!

Date: December 02, 2020 06:58AM

Mike, regarding the REV IP76ML, I think it's not powerful enough for the 3/4 weight you want to cast. Pick a blank that has a recommended lure weight that more closely matches what you want to cast. Looks like the MH is best for casting, but I wonder if it might be too stiff to get a good snapping action. I'd lean to the M. If you get too stiff with this technique you will get a "too stiff" feel on the snap and loose line on the drop. Hard to explain, but you want some give, not a "broomstick".

I have the 7 foot ML and it;s clearly not right for casting weights up to 3/4.

If you use the Fuji KLH guide train KL20H, 10H, 5.5M reduction train and braid 15 or lighter you'll be able to cast blades a mile. KB and KT runners, whatever size you prefer. I'd go with 5's. Use the KW software on the Anglers Resource site.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (72.18.59.---)
Date: December 02, 2020 12:33PM

Thanks again Michael - I'm giving the C473MHXS Rodgeeks blank a try, I know what you mean about bumping up to a heavier power when using 3/4oz lures. I have built a couple MB843 blanks for spinning and they also work well, but they're a bit stiff tip-wise. Thanks for the Fuji guide recommendation also, I use it all the time! Appreciated

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster