I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2-handed casting:
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 08:01AM

If you do not normally use two hands to cast when fishing, give it a good long try. After a short bit of practice, you will be able to normally increase casting distance by at least 1/3rd or more and also improve accuracy at the same time.

The reason is simple. Rod top acceleration and tip velocity of the rod at the time that the lure or bait leaves the tip of the rod. When one casts using two hands, one can substantially increase the tip velocity of the rod and this in turn increases the velocity of the lure or bait as it leaves the tip of the rod, to end up being much further from the person casting than happens with a slower tip velocity using one hand.

At the same time - by using two hands, one never have to worry about the length of the rear grip because you always have one hand on the very rear butt cap of the rod to keep a longer rear grip out of harms way - like getting tangled in outer wear as some may complain about if one uses a long handled rod and casts using only one hand.

Give two handed casting a try and let us know how it works out for you.

Be safe

p.s.
The reason that I switched to two handed casting after being a one handed person for many many years was an experience on a fishing outing with a good friend. We were fishing in the mississippi river for Walleye, anchored up on one of the many wing dams on the big river. By anchoring above a wing dam, one could cast out and let the current carry the jig or lure out and up and along the wing dam to connect with the fish - waiting for a meal. After we had fished for a while and having my friend outfish me about 3 to 1, I began to observe where he was fishing. He was casting about 50 feet further than I way using an identical jig and a rod of an identical length. But when casting, his rod always made a very particular whistling sound. At the time, I simply did not realize that he was using two hands, because I was not looking for that difference. So, finally I asked him how he was able to achieve his casting distance. He replied, "By using two hands on the cast.". Of course. then I wanted more carefully and it became apparent about the difference. His casts were so smooth, that the fact that he was using two hands simply did not pop out at me. So, I changed over to two handed casting that day and have not looked back. Incidentally, after switching to two hands, I was able to reach a key part of the wing dam that I had not been able to reach before, and yes - my fishing success improved and has continued to this day on other outings - by continuing to use two hands, and being able to place a bait or lure exactly where I want to; at a distance that is considerably further than if I had continued to use only one hand. Of course, there are times where extreme distance is not required when fishing and the two handed casting may nor be necessary, but by continuing to use two hands on even shorter distances, one can continue to fish virtually all day long with out getting the extreme strain and workout on a single arm that goes with a long day of one handed casting and fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-handed casting:
Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2020 11:04AM

My son told me about 2 handed casting a couple years ago and I will never go back to 1 handed for casting rods. Along with Improved accuracy and distance is that you do not have to switch hands to real in your lure. I put my left hand on top at the real seat trigger and right hand on the bottom. After cast you just move right hand up to retrieve your lure. Simple less moves easier cast. My son learned it from a tournament bass fishermen. I always wondered how they cast so far without swinging the rod with one hand like I used to do. It is also easy to learn.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 28, 2020 11:53AM

It,s just about the only way to cast a big hairy wind resistant bass bug all night..

Posted by: jim spooner (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 12:29PM

Single-hand casting still has it's place....where "distance" is not a factor, but "agility" is....especially with shorter rods and shorter grips. Longer rods with long grips can be, and often are, awkward to cast single-handed. There are times when long distance casts are advantageous, but shorter casts can work a lure better and fight fish more efficiently. I guess....whatever works best for you.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2020 12:42PM

Two hand casting is the basic tenet of Spey fly fishing. In addition to using two hands the rods are much longer 13-14 feet. This technique has become immensely popular amongst Steelhead fishermen, especially on the West coast of US and Canada. It provides the ability to cover lots of water on the big rivers!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2020 01:34PM

I've been a two-handed caster pretty much all my life. Sure there are techniques and situations where I opt for single-handed casting, but the majority of the time I'll have both hands on the rod.

When it comes to handle length, my disdain for long handles has nothing to do with casting. It's when I'm working a lure or fighting a fish that long handles get in the way.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 02:36PM

For casting and spinning rods, I'm also a lifelong two handed caster and I think most people are, especially when casting for distance. Too long a handle can get in the way when working a bait and retrieving. I cast right handed and reel left handed using casting, spinning, and fly rods, and thus never switch hands. I know a lot of right handers can't reel with their left hand. I don't completely understand why, because not switching hands just seems so natural and more efficient to me. However, I do understand the dominant hand theory, but I guess it doesn't apply to me. One of the reasons I never got into offshore fishing is because all the conventional reels used at the time were cranked with the right hand.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 28, 2020 09:50PM

I use nothing from the beach but two-handed casting rods with "no-level-wind" Slosh-30 reels filled with quality mono. One of these I have used over ten years. Never missed a stroke. Backlash control is a cinch. On the reverse side, passers-by don't line it up to look over and "Ooh!" and "Aah!" - but that's not why I take it fishing.
When you reach your storage place after fishing FIRST, before anything else, thoroughly rinse your rods and reels with fresh water. ALWAYS! FIRST!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2020 06:22AM

Put me solidly in the Jim Spooner camp on this one. The situation and the rod one chooses to use in that situation, goes a long way in determining how one might need to make a cast. If I'm making short casts (I'm not talking flipping or pitching here) to specific targets, I'm not going to choose a rod that I can't manipulate quickly and easily. For me that means a rod that is easy to cast with one hand. Shorter rod, shorter rear grip. Conversely, If I'm out off the bank making long casts to a specific area, or just covering water, the ability to manipulate the rod quickly and easily is not as important to me. Out there I'm going to choose a longer rod with a longer rear grip that I pretty much need to cast with two hands, or I am going to hurt myself. lol

While I certainly agree with Joe that longer rear grips can get in the way of working a bait, we differ in the area of a longer rear grip being in the way while fighting a fish. Once again, for me ........ because it all comes down to personal preference, but for me, a longer rear grip is more often a benefit when it comes to fighting a fish, than it is a hindrance.

Now the switching hands thing that Norman mentioned ...... lol That is a debate that in the fishing word, rivals any debate I have ever seen. Religious, political, or otherwise. lol

Personally, I'm right handed, and other than when flipping and pitching, I hold the rod in my right hand when casting. It doesn't matter if it's casting gear or spinning gear, the rod is in my right hand. I use right hand retrieve casting reels, and my spinning reels are set up for left hand retrieve. Other than not being able to reel as fast with my left hand as I can my right, I don't have any problem reeling with my left hand. My dad, before he passed away, was right handed and he switched over to using all left hand retrieve casting reels. I tried using his rods while he was alive and after he passed away, and for me, switching the rod to my left hand presents advantages that outweigh any disadvantages that switching hands might present in certain situations.

Date: November 29, 2020 09:06AM

I’m left-handed, so normal “right-hand” casting reels work well for me. I’ve always been puzzled why bait-casters have a right-hand crank which require a right-handed person to switch hands when casting/retrieving. Spinning reels are opposite (another puzzle) and since they have a crank on the left side, I have the convert to the opposite side…..a convenient feature on today’s spinning reels.

On a similar issue with guns…..for years I’ve been frustrated that my handguns were designed for right-hand shooters with safeties and mag releases on the “wrong” side. When they began to offer ambidextrous features, I found that I couldn’t adjust to them since I was so used to the original config. Might be the same dilemma for right-handed anglers thinking of switching to “left-hand” reels.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2020 11:41AM

I agree with Jim, a lot of the switching hand thing is due to what you get use to doing. Many kids grow up using spin cast reels like the Zebco 33, and such. They are very popular because they are very easy to use, but they all crank right handed. I grew up using a cane pole and later a spinning rod where the reel only cranked left handed, like the Mitchell 300. When I got my first casting reel it was a Abu Garcia 5000. I could use it but it it felt very uncomfortable holding the rod in my left hand and cranking with my right. It was not so much cranking right handed but rather holding the rod in my left hand, where I felt I had less control of the rod, just seemed unnatural. I never got use to it. When Shimano introduced the Bantam 101, a left hand retrieve bait caster, I bought one and never looked back. As a side note I have observed that my left handed friends use right hand crank reels, none use a left crank reel, similar to Jim.

Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2020 12:54PM

I love the conversation ..... and I completely understand what Jim and Norman are saying. When I first started using bait cast reels, there were go left hand retrieve casting reels available. Unlike Norman, my fishing progression went from cane pole, to a Zebco 33, and then to open face spinning gear. Based on how awkward reeling with my left hand was with my first spinning gear, I have no doubt that my starting with a Zebco 33 is the reason I didn't find beginning with a right hand retrieve bait casting reel, to feel awkward at all. While I hadn't used anything but spinning gear for a long time before I started using bait casting gear, I already had experience with right hand retrieve reels, and switching hands.

Be that as it may, I am more than certain that I don't continue to be a hand swticher to this day, simply because I started out that way. If it were, I wouldn't have been flipping and pitching with the rod in my left hand for God knows how many years. I can honestly say that I have been flipping and pitching left handed for at least half of number of years I've been using bait cast reels. My first casting reel was a Shimano Bantam Black Magnum, 200FS. At the time, the SF designation on Shimano casting reels meant the reel had a fighting star drag. Today that designation means super free. But anyhow lol

I switched over to flipping and pitching left handed because switching hands while using those presentations, was leading to missed bites. And on a couple of occasions almost lost rods when a fish would hit my bait and take off before I could complete the switch. Not wanting to miss bites or lose rods, I taught myself to perform those presentations, left handed. The thing is, I can perform those presentations with my hand on the rod in the same position as if I had switched hands. No part of my hand touches any part of the rear grip. Or fore grip for that matter. I palm the reel. Palm of the hand over the side plate, fingers under and wrapped around the reel seat. In a position of power.

When I cast, actually cast, my hand is on the rear grip of the rod, tucked up against the back of the reel. Hand on the side of the grip, index finger ahead of the trigger on the reel seat, and thumb on the thumb bar and the reel's spool. A position that makes it easy to manipulate the rod and control the spool with my thumb, but not really what I would consider a power position. And definitely not in as powerful of a position as if I hand switched the rod to my left hand. I have honestly given using left hand retrieve casting reels a serious try. I just don't find them comfortable when setting the hook, and in some situations, when working the bait. When I set the hook using a left hand retrieve reel, my wrist comes into play because of the way I am IMO, forced to hold the rod. When I set the hook after switching hands, my wrist is more or less just something that connects my hand to my forearm. My hook set is all forearm movement. It's just a lot more powerful IMO.

As far as the drawbacks of switching hands go, I'd be a fool to say there are none. But ..... the drawbacks are easy to deal with and they really don't amount to any more work or motion than is required in simply reaching for the reel's handle. I might have to thumb the reel hard on a short cast with a buzzbait so I can get it started the second it hits the water, but that's about it. The switch is made without even thinking about.

Believe me, I'm not trying to convince anybody that my way is right, or their way is wrong. Casting styles aren't mathematical equations where there is a right or wrong answer. The same goes for the way we choose to build the rods we build. The whole idea of this forum is to exchange ideas and let ourselves and others learn a little something that they might not have thought of themselves. Ok, the Browns game is about to start, time to go ....

I truly love this place. It's the best forum on the internet, Hands down !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 12:55PM by David Baylor.

Date: November 29, 2020 01:51PM

Although I no longer build to sell, I recently sold a couple of bass rods that were made to my preferences. I advised the buyer that the rods really wouldn’t suit his two-hand casting, but he prevailed (snicker). The rods (SC5 blanks) were short (under 6’) with short grips of about 9”. He's happy, and I'm happy for him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster