I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaping EVA
Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: November 25, 2020 02:46PM

Hello all,
I've run into a slight problem with making EVA grips. This is the 1st time I've tried to make EVA grips (I purchased a block of EVA from MH). I tried to use the same technique I use when shaping cork grips which is using a drill as a small lathe with some varying grits in sand paper but the EVA looked like it was melting and not getting any smaller in size. What kind of tools to do you guys use to shape EVA grips? Do I need a lathe or can it be done with a drill setup? Do you prefer to use a special type of sand paper (I was using regular 80grit)? I tried to do a search on this topic but nothing came up so please direct me to the thread of this topic has already been covered.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaping EVA
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 25, 2020 03:08PM

If it is square I would cut to get it as close to round. Then try the paper that is a mesh....sort of a cheese grater approach. Then switch over to normal stuff to polish it out. 400 grit followed by old denim works well.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2020 04:01PM

EVA, being soft, will tend to move away from the sanding medium. To keep heat low, you need to apply more pressure with your sandpaper (power over speed), which may be hard to do with a common drill type set-up. You may also want to move to 60 or even 40 grit for basic shape, then move up from there to smooth things back out.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 11:13PM

Thank you both for your replies, I will try both recommendations!

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.156.---)
Date: November 26, 2020 07:13PM

Fabric backed sandpaper works better than big box home store paper.

I’ve turned and sanded down a number of grips using the progression I learned from Billy V - 80, 120, 150 and 220 on the lathe turning pretty fast - around 4000 rpm - and lean into it to get it to cut.

This is with the quite firm Eva blocks - around 70 durometer i believe.

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: November 27, 2020 09:33AM

I’ve been turning EVA with sandpaper as well with no problem. As was mentioned, you can buy it in cylinders from MH which is much easier to work with IMHO. Blocks seem like an unneeded step. I use same grits as when turning cork. I also use a handmade drill lathe that I outfitted with a dimmer switch to vary the speeds when needed.

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 01:44PM

Un-bored blocks are needed if you want a grip with a larger OD that the pre-bored ones, or if you’re going to do decorative grips that require cutting especially at angles, etc

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: November 28, 2020 10:49PM

Michael Ward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fabric backed sandpaper works better than big box
> home store paper.
>
> I’ve turned and sanded down a number of grips
> using the progression I learned from Billy V - 80,
> 120, 150 and 220 on the lathe turning pretty fast
> - around 4000 rpm - and lean into it to get it to
> cut.
>
> This is with the quite firm Eva blocks - around 70
> durometer i believe.

I was able to get it to turn down with the sandpaper but the finish was a bit fuzzy. Any recommendations? I tried up to 400 but had difficulty in getting a really smooth surface.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 29, 2020 10:42AM

Hello Lee.

Like Russ says old denim works well.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 29, 2020 11:01AM

Robert,
You indicate that old denim works well.

Would brand new denim from a $200 pair of jeans work just as well as the old denim/

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 29, 2020 11:11AM

Hello Roger.

Would'nt know, never tried new denim, but what the heck if you don't mind i'll bet the rod won't mind.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

P.S. On a serious note the blue on new denim might rub off onto your EVA (blue streaks in your white EVA).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 11:19AM by Robert A. Guist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster