I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Placement and Fish Fighting
Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 01:08PM

I thoroughly enjoy building rods and take a lot of pride in crafting rods that are purpose built for the reel, line, fishing style, etc. myself or the client requests. I always static test my rods, typically with the 2 line method initially on a new blank then use those measurements and minimally tweak when making multiples on the same blank. I've been happy with the results, but always wondered how necessary it really is considering the static load test is just that...'static.'

Let's take a 7' 10-20lb 3/8 - 1 1/2oz MF blank. Let's say I build a spinner and fish for albies. Now fighting this fish with rod tip high the load is coming from a very shallow angle as that fish could be 100+ yards out there. Same blank, could even be the same rod is now jigging for tautog. Load is coming from an entirely different, now very steep angle.

Top hand position while fighting the fish effects the blank too. Especially as you get into more moderate blanks.

Now I'm not saying throw 4 guides on a heavy saltwater spinner and call it good to go. I'm just WAYY overthinking this and trying to determine how load angle effects (if at all) rod bend and guide placement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Placement and Fish Fighting
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 02:22PM

Dan,
If the guide train is correct, and set up correctly, the high or low angle of fishing should make no difference to the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 02:22PM

Dan,
I think you answered your own question; one never knows what load or angle the line will be to dictate how much and how deeply a rod will be flexed. Therefore, static load testing for guide placement, even though only static, is the best tool/method we have to evenly distribute the load on the blank. Additionally, I static test both fully loaded and partially loaded (with more attention to the fully loaded) and place the guides accordingly. Even though a fish might be 100 yards away producing the shallow line angle, eventually (hopefully) it will be at the side of the boat producing a much steeper line angle. Just my thoughts; I am curious to learn what the veterans have to say.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 25, 2020 02:49PM

the places i fish, if the fish is one hundred yards out, he would be in the next state..lol.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 25, 2020 02:52PM

My 2 cents.

I don’t care when the fish is a 100 yards away. My rod isn’t at maximum load then.

I care when the fish is straight down and ripping line off the reel. That is maximum load of the rod and if I load in my static testing to my drag setting it equals the actual dynamic event.

I always use a bucket of water as a load and have the rod about 30 degrees above horizontal.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 03:36PM

Dan

Roger is correct. Set the rod up as well as you can then understand that regardless of the fish's position relative to the fisherman the rod only "cares" about the load and bend imposed by the fisherman - not the fish. Yep, it sounds strange so think on it this way; a fish 100 yards out can result in no load on the rod if the rod is pointed directly at the fish. The same is true for a fish directly below the fisherman. However, in both situations the fisherman can high stick, put excessive bend in the rod, to the point of rod failure. What you are really doing with a static load test to 90 degrees is giving the fisherman the best chance of applying maximum pressure to 90 degrees of rod bend without unnecessarily risking rod failure. Said another way, static load tests are really important and so is proper fish fighting technique.

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: November 25, 2020 05:44PM

Donald that makes all the sense in the world...comes down to providing the angler with the best chance when max pressure is applied. Perfect. Thanks!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 25, 2020 07:53PM

it only took me a few seconds after hooking a fish to understand that i was undergunned or not and that it would come down to fish fighting technique and lots of luck, especially lots of luck..lol.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: December 03, 2020 08:54AM

That's why they call it "angling"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster