I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Advice: Brand spanking new beginner
Posted by: Lyle Evans (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2020 11:30AM

I have zero rod building experience and am thinking of going with a starter kit from Mudhole or similar company. Any suggestions on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice: Brand spanking new beginner
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 22, 2020 12:01PM

Lyle,
One of the very best things that you can do, is to find a local rod builder and spend some quality time together to avoid rookie mistakes.

Everyone will make a mistake when building a rod. But, if an experienced builder is near, the mistake can be quickly corrected, before it gets built into the rod.

Good luck

Date: November 22, 2020 12:23PM

Thank you, Roger. I am fortunate that I know someone who builds them. I appreciate the reply.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: November 22, 2020 01:30PM

Hey Lyle and welcome to an amazing resource. I am about as new and have been learning for a few weeks. There are so many resources on this page to explore. Read all that applies to beginners in the section above labeled Library. There is some amazing information. I felt like I would look stupid asking questions that were covered in these resources. So I read all I could find before I started asking questions. These folks however will never make you feel dumb and will tell you there are no dumb questions when learning.If you love to fish it make sense to learn some of this stuff just to keep your personal rods in great shape. Keep learning and I predict this project won't be your last.

Date: November 22, 2020 02:21PM

I appreciate that, Danny. I'm looking forward to this journey and learning from everyone.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 22, 2020 05:04PM

My thoughts are to keep early builds simple and take no shortcuts with prepping for and using epoxies. They aren’t very difficult to use, but they also don’t forgive some types of mistakes and contamination. Methodically follow their instructions and you’ll be fine.

Date: November 22, 2020 05:44PM

Thanks Kendall, It seems a little daunting but I will definitely heed your advice.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 22, 2020 07:06PM

Lyle you can do yourself a huge favor by reading thru all the posts made here over the last 5 or so years. Obviously you won't have to read all of them (you gotta weed out the riffraff) but it's well worth the time it takes. You'll find almost any possible question you may have already answered. This is an incredible resource without even typing a question! At this point I feel that is the best advice I have to offer. (except for putting a spending limit on your credit card.) Lol

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 22, 2020 07:13PM

Lyle, you can,t go wrong by just reading Tom Kirkman's posts..it,s like reading a book on rod building...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 22, 2020 07:34PM

I love this place!

Date: November 22, 2020 07:57PM

Haha, I think you are right about the credit card!! Thank you.

Date: November 22, 2020 07:59PM

Thanks Ben, I will definitely check those out.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2020 03:01AM

Lyle, no matter how bad of a job you do you can always strip a blank down and rebuild it as you gain skills. There are several blanks that 10 years later are still as good as anything you can buy, if not better.

So my advice is take your time. Identify your needs. Get the best blank you can afford for those needs. You don't want to be sitting here, five years down the road, having bought a dozen blanks to fulfill the same need because you weren't willing to do your homework your first time out.

By all means do look for value. Black Friday is a great time. Closeouts and discontinued can be as well. Right now taking advantage of NFC's sale is probably a very smart move. You just need to identify which one of their blanks is right for you. Unfortunately they don't make it so easy with their web site.

Be willing to think outside the box. For example, a saltwater popping rod blank is often a great bass crank bait rod. Also, you need to be willing to put aside preconceived notions of what a finished rod should look like.

If you are fishing a spinning reel with braid Fuji's KR system does all the work for you.

Going with EVA grips and pipe style reel seats are very easy. The exposed reel seats and ones with inserts are trickier. Ditto on handle/seat solutions that need all sorts of winding checks and trim pieces.

It is easy to build a functional rod. They often fish the best as well. If you want pretty butt wraps and feather inlays be prepared for a much greater learning curve. Just remember that any/every thing you add to the blank only hurts it's performance. Weight is the enemy and looks typically adds weight.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lyle Evans (---)
Date: November 23, 2020 08:08AM

Thanks for all the great advice, Russ! I'm definitely going to heed your advice and take it slowly. I have an old ugly stick that I think I'm going to strip down and practice with.

Lyle, Morehead City NC

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 23, 2020 02:15PM

Hello Lyle.

Welcome, I live just the other side of Havelock from you, in the Carolina Pines subdivision I'm locked down right now (Dr.+Covid).
When the covid is over we should get together.

If you use the SEARCH button on this site set the time setting on ALL DATES.

Good Luck & see you later.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lyle Evans (---)
Date: November 23, 2020 02:59PM

Thanks Bob, I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Lyle, Morehead City NC

Date: November 23, 2020 03:55PM

What do you fish for Lyle? Be specific about the how's. Like shore/pier/surf/jetty/bridge/private boat/charter boats/party boats/etc. Also bait or lure.

If you could pick any rod and reel for free, what would be your dream pick for the outfit likely to see the most use? Play fair and don't pick something so you can sell it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lyle Evans (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2020 04:10PM

I am an inshore, saltwater fisherman so I target Trout, Redfish, Flounder, and Strippers. I use mostly light rods with light spinning gear and I want to build rods for myself, family and friends. I really have no ambitions, at this point, of trying to market or sell them. I look at it as simply an extension of my love for fishing.

Lyle, Morehead City NC

Date: November 23, 2020 06:22PM

Thought so Lyle. Most here are into fresh water. You have a special opportunity right now with the NFC sale but you have to move fast. Sale is over by end of week.

I would suggest their P704-1 (HM if you can afford it). You will find it in the saltwater section. I would also get the X-ray SJ 736-1. Both of these will be rated around 8-15# range. The P704 would be redfish/trout, the SJ 736 flounder and Spanish. Maybe add the SW768 if cobia are on the menu. The MB709 would be nice to have for the strippers but I haven't felt it. There are others if you are after amberjack or grouper.

Normally I wouldn't recommend buying such high end blanks to start with but you are currently buying at 66% off and these chances don't come along often on top end offerings.

Keep in mind you will pay a certain amount for shipping. So why pay 30 bucks for shipping on one blank when you could get six for the same amount. You will have a "value tax" added so don't feel like you are getting ripped off.

BTW the handles are certainly worth the price.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 23, 2020 06:49PM

Thanks Russ, l will check it out.

Lyle, Morehead City NC

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster